Author Topic: WNW DH 9A  (Read 1615 times)

Offline ww1buff

WNW DH 9A
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Here are photos of my first contribution to this site, the Wingnut Wings DH. 9A.  This is my seventh WW1 biplane.  I used many of the techniques described in Des Delatorre's Web site and I think they make a much more scale-like model than some of my earlier attempts. 
I used .006" stainless steel wire to make the eyelets and .022" OD, .014" ID stainless tubing from McMaster for the turnbuckles.  I also added a couple of extra details: the bombsite in the hole under the pilot and the lever that controls the radiator shutters in the cowling.  I also tried (but failed this time) a technique to show the linen covering the propeller.  Using Future (or whatever it's called now) I tried to place a layer of tissue over the prop.  It was difficult to get it smooth without tearing and making the edges of the tissue on the back of the prop came out pretty ugly.  My plan was to paint the tissue once it was dried.  Not sure it's even worth doing since you probably wouldn't be able to see the linen texture at this scale anyway.  But it was worth a shot.  I may work on it more another time.
Anyway, enjoy the pics and comments are welcome.

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/cellardweller02/slideshow/DH%209A

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW DH 9A
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
What a fantastic build, the effort you put into the interior and engine detialing is exceptional resulting in a very realistic appearance. The overall finish on the model is superb and the rigging is extremely well done, congratulations on producing a world class model and thank you for posting it here for all of us to see.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
Beautifully done and the detailing is exceptional ! Would love too see your builds  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
Super fine work, Joe!  Thank you for showing her to us.  I love the slide show.  Your shading, rigging, wood grain, leather padding, engine and cockpit detail are fantastic.  Looking forward to your next project.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
          I echo Bud's comments; simply top notch from start to finish. I hope you'll be sharing more with us in future!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Snowy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
Excellent build. This is a kit I have been considering and you have helped my decision. Would like to see your other models.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Beautiful build! Like Bud said the wood, leather and rigging are outstanding! The slide show was great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ww1buff

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:48:19 AM »
Thanks all for the generous compliments.  Feels good to have your work appreciated by your peers.

When I get the chance, I will photograph some other builds and post them as well.  It will give me an excuse to work on my photography skills too!

Next on the bench is the WNW Sopwith Snipe, Late Version. 

Joe

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
Wow Beautiful meticulous work in every area!

Mark

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:08 AM »
Joe,

As others have said, exceptional work on your DH9.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »
Super fine work, Joe!  Thank you for showing her to us.  I love the slide show.  Your shading, rigging, wood grain, leather padding, engine and cockpit detail are fantastic.  Looking forward to your next project.
Cheers,
Bud
I completely agree with Bud - what else can I add? Outstanding model!

Offline rickcap

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
This one has been on my bench for a while now, slow but sure.  As I get ready to paint, I would like to know how you made the rib tapes lighter than the overall wing color.  I know how to make ribs darker, for example, when the wing color is doped linen.  But to produce the opposite effect has me wondering.  Any help would be appreciated. :-\
"Normalization of Deviance Leads to Predictable Surprises" - United States Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Life's Best - Rick

Offline ww1buff

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »
Rickcap:

I first painted the entire wing the clear doped linen color (Tamiya XF55).  Then I taped the top ribs with 1/16" pinstripe tape.  Next I sprayed a band of Tamiya XF 62 (the PC10 color) over each rib and much lighter between the ribs.  Take the tape off the ribs and spray a light coat of XF 62 over the entire wing making sure not to darken the ribs too much.  This leaves the ribs and an area between the ribs a bit lighter .  It's a real subtle effect, you've got to go easy with the airbrush.  It's a variation of the technique that Des uses for the bottom of the wing to get the shadow effect but the rib is lighter instead.

Hope this answers your question.

Joe

Offline rickcap

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:37 AM »
Thanks, Joe, for your prompt and helpful reply.  Just what I needed to start making progress on the paint.
"Normalization of Deviance Leads to Predictable Surprises" - United States Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Life's Best - Rick

Dekenba

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
That really is a bloody superb model. Great level of detail, superb painting job, wonderful finish, put together outstandingly well.

If mine turns out half as good I'll be happy.