Author Topic: Question re Fokker D.VII F Rigging  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Mark

Question re Fokker D.VII F Rigging
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
I have a question regarding the rigging on the undercarriage for the Fokker D.VII F; in particular, where the upper end of the wires are attached.

The photos I've seen are unclear on the attachment point, although I have a cut-away 3D drawing that seems to show the wire attached to an eye that is attached to the airframe. If that is the case, do I simply glue the upper end of these wires in the slot at the corner between the Under Cowl and the piece in front of it (radiator support?)?

As you can tell from my questions, I'm nearing the end of this, my first, build. Just think, soon I'll have an entirely different aircraft (to me) about which to ask questions!   :)

Mark G.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Question re Fokker D.VII F Rigging
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:58:27 AM »
Mark,
   I just puzzled through this myself and, after a search of all my References, came to the same conclusion as you. I placed eyelets at the back end of the mounting hole that receives the front landing gear strut and the middle (longest) of the front threesome of cabanes. It would make sense that these bracing wires would attach to the frame.
   Hope this helps.......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
If you have vol 1 or Windsocks DVII anthology theres a pic of the RAFM under restoration shows this point. (on page 14) The rigging cable is looped and spliced around the main fuselage member where all the various comonents are welded together right above the undercarriage forward mounting point.

looking more, on pics from the side without the cheek panels on you can see a thin rod welded between fuselage tubes that would stop the cable slipping, if you look close I think you could make out the cable looped around the main frame tube. (on Page 16 Vol 1 or page 4 of Vol2)

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/BromeCountyMuseum/Nose/pages/06MercedesDIIIa.htm
Brome County Fokker, you can see what I mean right at bottom if image. Also image one from the same page.

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/BromeCountyMuseum/Nose/pages/01MercedesDIIIa.htm
cable has been painted same colour as frame so is easy to miss.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:37:14 AM by kornbeef »
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
RB,
  Thanks for that; first time I've seen a second set of cross braces (on the rear struts) though. Must be an addition to the re-build plan.
Keith,
   Great photo, and shows it well. Note to self: "more throne research time"!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »
Just added a link to my earlier post. The TVAL one is a perfect example of why not to use reproduction aircraft as reference.  ;D
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
Just added a link to my earlier post. The TVAL one is a perfect example of why not to use reproduction aircraft as reference.  ;D

Will second this .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »

Amen Sir, and then Again!!
  Thanks for all the references Keith! (I should leave it to Mark to Thank You, sorry Mark, not meaning to pirate your query!!)
   The best of all the Refs you've provided is the photo on page 4 of Anthology 2; the wire is there wrapped around the frame members and the bar to prevent it slipping also stands out very well.
   As for the repro or, in the odd case, rebuilt examples as references it is a path fraught with peril; one can never be cautious enough!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mark

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
Lance, Keith, RedB, and Terri--many thanks for the research and info. When building armor I got used to not necessarily trusting restorations and I can see where that goes double for our biplanes.  :)

Again, thanks!

Mark G.