Author Topic: A second question on the Fokker DVII Cheek panels  (Read 1323 times)

Offline jknaus

A second question on the Fokker DVII Cheek panels
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Okay I havent seen anything, about this so far. How do they take the cheek panels off of the a/c?? I mean with the strut going through it, how would you display this with the panel off. Would the strut be disconnected?

James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: A second question on the Fokker DVII Cheek panels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:01:07 AM »
I think there is a vertical split immediately above the strut hole. Being metal it could probably just be flexed open and slid over the strut when needed.

I agree. Take a look at the top right of the 3 photos on page 16 of the Instruction Booklet; you can easily pick out the seam and fastener above the cabane. The caption also mentions that the 'front 3 cabane struts were welded to the fuselage frame".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »
James,
Assuming you are talking about the Actual aircraft structure the above would seem to be correct. If you are asking about the WNW kit, then leave the front strut of the Cabane tripod "UNGLUED" at the point it contacts the frame. This allows one to slide the panel off of the strut. I personally think that the process would eventually cause issues and wouldn't remove the panel , or conversely put the panel on, too many times!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:21 AM »
Thanks guys. Now that I see it I understand. I was considering leaving panel off and going nuts on engine. Think I'll leave that for one of my Rolands of Pfalz's.
James

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:53:18 AM »
The DVII sure looks good with a panel or two off but you need to detail the lower crankcase, it's rather bereft of detail and what is there is far from good.

Check and fit the panels several times as you build. is my advice.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:56:10 AM »
Good topic James!

Thanks!
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)