Author Topic: A request to the am manufacturers  (Read 1649 times)

Offline jknaus

A request to the am manufacturers
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
Okay I dont know where to put this so I hope this is a good place. I cant quite drill a hole in the WNW kits control horns. Those pieces that the cable attaches to on the elevator, rudder and ailerons. So I had an idea. Maybe I could make a cable connector. Well thats too small for me to scratch as well. Then I thought, hey there are people here who work on miniscule pieces. I've also seen some of my favorite am guys here also. So here is my request. Could one or more of you consider making a cable connector in resin or metal that I can slip on the control horn and also glue ez line or something like it into the other end. Then I can rig my controls. It would look like this.

I'm sure a lot of other guys here would buy into it as well.

I hope this request is in the right place and is okay Des.
James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: A request to the am manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
No problems at all James, it is great to see requests for new products, and this is a particular item that I'm sure will be extremely popular with all our members, I hope there is someone out there who can manufacture this item. A clevis like this has many uses not only to connect cables to control horns but hooking up cables to the engine and the throttle quadrant.

Des.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:52:07 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mark

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm at the point of rigging the various control horns on my D.VII F and I'm still not sure how I'm going to attach the line to the horns except wrapping it around and applying a drop of CA. Any suggestions?

Mark G.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
Hi James.  I think the idea of the connector is a good one and I think at some point
someone will produce it.  Until then, I think the control horns can be drilled to
accept the easy-line, or monofilament, etc.  I've done it with 0.3mm drills without
any problems and it will hold together if you don't put too much stress on it.
Food for thought. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »
Thanks Ernie. I have tried on one of my other builds, but I ended up wrecking more than I did successfully drilling out. After that I just glued the ez line onto the horn. It works, but doesnt look the best. Then I thought of the real deal and tried to make a cable connector. That didnt work. I'm fairly sure though that if I had one I could do the job.
James

Offline Mossie

Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Hello all.

Ernie has shown us to splendid effect recently just what can be achieved by careful drilling, though I fear that I might not have  such skill and think that James is really on to something here.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
Nigel, you're too kind. :-[ ;D  I think James original idea would be splendid and a really
well received item for one of our after-market friends to produce.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
Until some enterprising soul does bring such a clevis onto the market, I've found that an Optivisor combined with the sharp carbide bits from Drill Bits Unlimited made all the difference for me when drilling those delicate spots.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
also you can replace the plastic kit control horns with a photetched control horn which has the holes already there. eduard and part make them.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Eduard/Objects/wire-stretchers-turnbuckles-and-control-horns/EDU00048406/product.php

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
Without rooting through my stash and old WNW instructions, are not some of the control horns pre-drilled?  I thought some are, and some are not.

Drilling through is OK, but can be tricky - one slip and the part is damaged, however repairs are possible.