Author Topic: RFC RNAS RAF ...Somewhere on the Western Front  (Read 11246 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: RFC RNAS RAF ...Somewhere on the Western Front
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »
It has come together really well, Squiffy. The figures look super.
Good work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, chaps.

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a few bits and pieces for the airfield and today they all came together and were completed and/or fitted in place.

Firstly we've now got a shed as C-flight office, and a nissen hut as aircrew accomodation, or perhaps the officers' mess. I'm not sure if they'd have had a flagpole but I've made one anyway.

The nissen hut is a resin casting but the shed is scratched from plain plasticard with the planks done using an OLFA cutter, which actually takes a sliver of plastic out instead of merely scoring it. The flag is a computer printout and the pole is plastic rod.

We've also got anti-aircraft measures in the form of a Lewis gun, surrounded by sandbags. There is a gap at the back, in case you were wondering how anyone got in there to man the gun.

The Lewis is a kit spare part and the sand bags are made of milliput. I suspect the Lewis should really be of the infantry pattern with a butt but it's all I had.

In the corner I've added a farm building, outside which an infantry squad parade before returning to the trenches. To fit in with the period of the majority of my aeroplanes (1917/18) I guess these chaps should have Brodie helmets and not soft caps but you can't have everything absolutely right...

The building was scratched using a shell of plain plasticard and embossed plasticard outer. The soldiers are WD models resin casts.

Pilot and observer of this "Harry Tate" have just returned from Hunland, where they were spotting for the artillery...

The R.E.8 is one of my earliest models that I've repainted and rigged.

That damned staff officer is back!

He wasn't on the staff but he is now I've added some red to his hat and his collar patches.  ;D

And this is the overall scene.

You'll notice that in all the previous photos I've roughly added in the sky. This is due to the wrinkles in the background and because photographing indoors shows them up too much. It was alright in the summer when I could photograph it outdoors and in good light but now it's winter I need a little electronic help.  :P

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
Squiffy,
Very cool additions to your diorama/airfield! I love the figures, very well done in tiny scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online malaula

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »
Squiffy!I don't know how Imanaged to miss this one ,I really like that!I 've got the crossley in my stash and think I'll put it on my 0/400 dio,did you have any issues building it? 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
The additional buildings and figures have made a huge difference to your scene, the figures are beautifully painted and fit in extremely well with the busy scene. Having vehicles standing around adds more realism to the dio, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks, Des.  :D

Malaula - the Crossley was the first resin kit I built and went together without difficulty.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 05:23:53 AM »
A flight of Pups on the airfield.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
That really looks as though it is a vintage photo. This is an excellent mini-dio that you have there and a wonderful backdrop for some of your excellent models. Better than displaying on the ceiling!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
Awesome work, Squiffy!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
Nice looking Pups, and nice period looking photo, Squiffy! :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:40 AM »
Awesome Squiffy! I love the Black and white shot!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
  Squiffy,
Outstanding works my friend. You got one heck of a diorama there. Well Done! The canvas hanger is excellent.The folded hanger curtains really stand out. What did you use to construct your hanger?

Love those beautiful aircraft you've used in your setting.Outstanding job on them as well. I take it the two DH-2 must have been built awhile before the others. Not that they don't look as great as the others,just the lack of rigging is noticeable . This is not a criticism merely my observation . Looking forward to seeing more.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 12:21:39 AM »
Hello, Gregory,

Yes, the DH2s are both some of my early efforts and were built before I had learnt how to rig them. The hangar is mostly made from a cornflakes packet and newspaper.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 03:40:23 AM »
 Squiffy,
Thank you for you reply my friend. Your early efforts on the DH-2 sans rigging are far superior to my early attempts. The few of my earliest to survive in bits and pieces for over fifty years are covered with little Gregory's gluey finger prints.
Highest Regard,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Pardon me for forgetting thanking you for the information on what your excellent hanger was built up with.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:44:30 AM by GAJouette »
" What Me Worry"

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:24 AM »
It's been a while since I added to this but there have been some small changes. The airstrip has added weeds and muddiness, with some extra trees and weeds in the area to the rear of the buildings.

The farmyard area now has a few chickens in it and several pilots' dogs now populate the aerodrome (pictures to follow).

For now though here are some pictures that include my newly painted Gunthwaite Miniatures figures.