Author Topic: Gold medal winner  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Gold medal winner
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »
I heard on the grape vine that a bloke by the name of Lance entered his Bristol fighter into a competition and won a gold medal, is there any truth in this rumor  ;) ;) My information came from a very reliable source  :) who also lives in Canada.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Gold medal winner
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
   I guess the old WWII saying, "Loose lips sink ships' is alive and doing well in our Group. The news does get around!
   Per the last several years I travelled South in Alberta and attended the IPMS Canada Western Regional Contest/Show this past weekend. This year the Event was organised and hosted by the IPMS Edmonton Alberta Chapter; it was well executed and a success all round. I hadn't intended to do a Report on the event so really did not take any photos to speak of.
   The Show was well attended, I was told that there were 107 modellers who entered the Contest and total models entered in the competition were 478 in all Categories. This Competition nominally covers all of Western Canada, that is British Columbia, the three Prairie Provinces, and the Yukon/North West Territories. As in my experience the past three years, the WWI Modeller is more or less relegated to the Category of "Multiple Wings &/or Wire Braced unless the subject is placed in the Scratch Built, Diorama, or Vintage Kit Categories. Given the foregoing the WWI Buff finds he's in very direct competition with post War and "between the Wars` subjects. Several very nicely presented "between the wars" subjects such as a magnificent "Gulf Hawk" and a Curtiss Flying Boat provided tremendous competition to those of us submitting approximately a dozen WWI Aircraft Models.
   I registered three entries, all WNW Builds. After the Judging was complete I was thrilled to have all three entries recognised, being awarded an Honourable Mention for the Sopwith Tripe, Bronze for my MFJ Pfalz D.IIIa, and the Gold for my Brisfit. The Silver Award went to a very nicely presented WNW Early `Fee`.  The Silver Medal `Fee`............

My Pfalz......

................and my Gold Medal Bif .............

In all the confusion I did not get a photo of my Tripe but that`s her aft end to the right of the Bif.

......and heres some but regrettably not all of the other WWI Entries........

A collection of 1:72 Austro Hungarian Single Seaters.....

a Hansa Brandenburg W29...............

....and just a few more of the Entries in the category......

All in all a very enjoyable and rewarding day. The Organizers did a very fine job and I for one met a lot of new and interesting Hobbyists at the event.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:37:11 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Congratulations Lance on winning the medals and awards, they are certainly well deserved. It appears to be a well attended event and has some extremely good models on display, I would not like to be a judge at that particular show. It is always nice to hear of our forum members entering and winning contests, this is something you should be very proud of Lance, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
Hooray! Congratulations, Lance! Very well deserved.

Lindsay

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »
Excellent news, Lance!!  ;)
Well done!

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
Congratulations Lance on winning! I personally would have ranked the Pfalz higher (I really like the MFJ markings), nevertheless all your models deserve winning contests.

Well done.

Stefan

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
Heartiest congratulations, Lance.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
Congratulations.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
Congratulations Lance, superb modelling :)

Offline IvotB

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Congratulations Lance: three entries and three prices, that's a wonderful result.

regards,
Ivo

Offline jknaus

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »
Congrats Lance. We left around 1630 so didnt see the presentation. Well deserved. All three of yours were Gold in my opinion. That Fee was also right up there. Enjoyed our chat. :)

James

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
I'd respond to this thread but I'm currently engaged in sewing my lips together . . .

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Well done Lance!
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Lance,
Three beautiful entries and all well deserved Medals! congrats!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
Hearty congratulations on your well deserved triumph Lamce!

Offline radio

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »
Congratulation Lance.  ;D
Lovely and great builds.
Martin