Author Topic: Koster 1/48th vacs?  (Read 7308 times)

Offline Tiger2

Koster 1/48th vacs?
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
Hi all,
I've seen a couple of finished pics recently of the Siemens Schuckert and a Hannover that Koster Aero Enterprises produced a few years ago.
They look to be nice models and as far as I can find out, they are vac forms with white metal detail bits, something I've not tried before but an area of the hobby I have a curiosity to try. Has anyone here built one and if so, was it a good or bad experience? More to the point, if they are worth a pop does anyone know if they are still available? I saw a Sopwith Triplane by Koster on ebay recently so I know they are around, I just wanted to gather some thoughts before going any further!

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Jim52

Re: Koster 1/48th vacs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
Paul,
       Hop over to the Group Build section. The Hannover is being built as
part of the GB.

Jim

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
  Paul,
My advise my friend is if you find one of Koster's kit buy it. Koster's are some of the best vacform every produced and well worth the extra effort to complete them. For a vac newbie I'd suggest building up the Fokker D. VIII .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Koster's Sopwith Triplane

" What Me Worry"

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:38:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far chaps, wow, the shots of the Hannover on the group build look amazing, I've always
dreaded the thought of this media as it often seems to require a lot of scratch building but this looks like a very complete model. So are they still available?!! Is Mr Koster still out there doing this stuff?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far chaps, wow, the shots of the Hannover on the group build look amazing, I've always
dreaded the thought of this media as it often seems to require a lot of scratch building but this looks like a very complete model. So are they still available?!! Is Mr Koster still out there doing this stuff?
Mr. Koster no longer maintains a website, but most of his products are still available through direct email:
http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/Product%20List%20%231%20Dec%2C%202009.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=213320&part=2
As Gregory said, they are wonderful kits, well worth the money.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1+48+DFW+C+V+SIERRA+SCALE+MODELS+WW1+VAC+FORM+KIT

Hi Paul,

Have a look at the above link, he has a few vac form kits available, the only Koster kit is the 1:48 Sopwith Triplane, but there are some interesting models up for sale.

Des.

If all else fails you could write to Koster;

Koster Aero Enterprises

Vac formed 1/48 scale WWI classics including a Fokker E.V/D.VIII, Hannover CL.III, SSW D.III/D.IV and Sopwith Triplane. All kits are mixed media with resin, photo etched brass and white metal accessories.

Their address:

Koster Aero Enterprises
610 Euclid Court
Highland Park, IL 60035
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:42:23 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »
CONTACT! Wahay, the power of the internet to the rescue once again. I finally managed to email Bill Koster after getting some help from the nice chap who runs the site 'Swanny's Models' (good site by the way!) and have just this minute ordered a Hannover CIII and a Siemens Schuckert DIV! I'll let you all know when they arrive, can't wait!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
  Tiger,
Congratulations my friend. You'll be quite happy with your Koster kits. I'm looking forward to a great vac build thread soon,
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
My Koster vacforms arrived today, the Hannover and Siemens Schuckert DIV. There is really a lot more to these kits than just  vac form parts as you can see from the Hannover on the group build at the moment, William Koster is certainly a master of the 'multi media' concept and provides beautiful white metal and photo etched details along with resin and decals to complete the package. My main problem, no time to start anything yet due to work!! I'll let you know when I do, but as the Hannover is being tackled so nicely on the group build at the moment I'll sit and watch and learn!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
Well done Paul on receiving your kits so quick, I look forward to seeing you make a start once you complete your SE.5a.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
Thanks Des and sorry I haven't had time to answer your last email properly yet but time is shredded with family and work, although it's all positive! Great to hear you went for the Gotha in the end, if anyone can do that beast justice it's you. The Koster kits deserve their reputation, certainly not 'shake n bake' which is nice in a way as it will make me 'model' a bit more if you no what I mean.
Will keep you posted once I get into one, I'm keen to start the SSDIV at the moment after watching the old Eduard DIII build take shape in the Group Build.
Cheers,

Paul

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »
You're really going to enjoy the SSW, Paul.  I've got that kit, also, and I've already separated the fuselage and sanded it down.  The rest will be a breeze.  It's an excellent intro into vacs, as the fuselage is the only vac part.  The resin and white metal bits are very good, but I decided to order a Siemens-Halske Sh.III engine from Karaya to make it even better.  You'll love the Hannover, as well.  I'm really enjoying mine.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
Hi Bud,
Thanks for the info, your Hannover build is fascinating and will become my guiding light for when I get into mine! You're right about the white metal bits and bobs, some of the finest castings I've ever seen. Where did you order the engine from for the SSDIV, is it worth considering? I haven't really had the time to study the kit parts in detail yet.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:37 AM »
Sorry, Paul.  I thought I included the link.  :-[ Gettin' old.  I got mine directly from Karaya:
http://www.karaya.pl/en/-/11/siemens-halske-sh-iii-engine-kare4807.html
Not sure what his stock is.  There's also one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Karaya-E4807-Siemens-Halske-Sh-III-engine-resin-/350516653737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c6baea9
Personally, I think it's worth it.  With the lower portion of the cowling open, the enqine is quite visible and a really good representation will make a world of difference.  Good luck.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
Looks a good product and I'm sure will make a big difference, the kit engine is a bit spartan on detail. However I am already so over budget  :-\ and feel compelled to try and improvise, I might have a go at detailing the spare plastic one I got with the old Eduard SSDIII, the cooling fins on the cylinders aren't too bad, just need some sprue push rods etc... and limitless time!  ;D

Have you got any work in progress pics of your DIV yet?

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:08:58 PM by Tiger2 »