Author Topic: Jast 5 Workhorse, Boistrancourt.  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Jast 5 Workhorse, Boistrancourt.
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
Adolph the 'Orrible, Jasta 5 Mechanic,

One of the mechanics from Kellerkind, I must admit that I was very impressed with the quick delivery and the quality of the product, however at this point in the build my confidence went right out of the window, a) the small size and b) the amount of detail.
With this being right out of my comfort zone I thought 'Once more in to the breech dear friends, for England, Harry and St. George' etc. etc. I've made a start and just put some base colours on.
Now I really need you honest opinions, hints and tips on this project.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline gcn

Re: Jast 5 Workhorse, Boistrancourt.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
Pete have you checked the help pages on the Vallejo site they have a tutorial on figure painting, it's quite useful.

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
Pete have you checked the help pages on the Vallejo site they have a tutorial on figure painting, it's quite useful.

Thanks mate, yes I have, I've even run myself off a copy.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
Pete, I think you’re coming along great. There is one thing I  think I detect that you may want to adjust. At the base of Herr Mechanic’s neck line, just below his collar, there appears to be a small stress crack. Now, with your skills I hesitate to comment further, but here goes with the way I approach that fix.

The figure I received had the same small flaw which I filled with a very thin solution of Mr. Surface 500 which allowed the tiny amount of filler to flow from the brush into the crack without brushing. Seems to work with no further work necessary. My approach was to dip a fine brush into lacquer thinner, then just touch the brush to the Mr Surfacer and get a very small amount of filler then touching the tiny brush load to the crack. I don’t need to tell you but do practice on something besides the figure to get the feel to avoid flooding the NCO’s collar line. Better a couple of applications than one with a mess in ones nest. I apologize if I’ve over stepped any bounds here.

If you decide to leave as is then it’s just an old shrapnel scar or these old eyes are not cutting it.  ;) 

Grand that you’re off and running with this part of your project.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
  Pete,
Your Mechanic is off to an outstanding start my friend. I'm looking forward to the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:20:01 AM »
Nice start Pete. This guy has lots of character as already mentioned. Looking forward to the dio.

Steve

Offline gcn

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »
Pete, I think you’re coming along great. There is one thing I  think I detect that you may want to adjust. At the base of Herr Mechanic’s neck line, just below his collar, there appears to be a small stress crack.Paddy

Paint it gold and make it a medallion

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »
P.S. Pete, your skin base colour looks good. "thumbs up"

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys, I really appreciate them.

Paddy, yes you are right, there is a small crack in the neck, I'll have a look and see if I can fill it.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:31 AM »
Pete,
Lovely work on the Mechanic! Funny but I have a great fear of trying Acrylics for figures having always used Artists oils. You are coming along quite nicely!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Ok guys, now be very gentle with me, this is the first time I've tried a figure of this small size, honest opinions please, all criticisms greatfully received and duly noted.

I present.......... Adolph the 'Orrible.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
Alright Pete! Adolf looks the part and is going to be a great addition to your diorama. Love the mud, grim you’ve achieved and the stains on his arms and face are spot on. The insignias, red trim on the cap, buckles, and braces shows that you handle the small details with a fine touch. 

The only addition if I may is a little grim on the back side of his right arm over the spanner. It seems a bit to clean.  :)

Well done Pete! You have the touch indeed mate.

Cheers,
Paddy

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Many thanks for the imput Paddy, you are quite right, that bit of the arm does look a bit clean, I will dirty it up a bit more.

Just a quick photo of how things are progressing with the dio.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »
Marvelous! Outstanding Pete. "Thumbs Up"  :)

Paddy

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
That's great Pete, Adolph certainly looks the part!!
I'm not being cheeky, but the vehicle reminds me of the statue of Stanley in the animated film Cars: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Stanley_%28Cars%29 ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice