Author Topic: What Ho!  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
What Ho!
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
Morning, all.

I found this forum from a link on another forum. As the other forum was general modelling I had to go searching for the interesting stuff but this one is wall-to-wall WW1 so I thought I may as well join.

Until the beginning of this year it had been over 30 years since I last built a model aeroplane but, in January, I, along with a friend, visited the RAF museum at Cosford and there bought a 1:72nd scale Sopwith Triplane kit and he a Fokker D.VII.

Since then I've gone a bit mental and have built another 19 WW1 aeroplanes in the same scale. Apart from being on display at home they are used in wargaming so lots of detail isn't important but I have just had a first attempt at adding rigging to the latest one, a Nieuport 28.

I've been having a look around the forum and the standard here is way above my own so I don't think I'll be showing any pictures but I hope to look and learn.

Toodle pip,

Squiffy.

Offline justin1980

Re: What Ho!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum squiffy!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  It's a great site, full of friendly helpful modellers of all abilities.  Criticism is always constructive and helpful, we all started modelling, and I assure you that by showing your models will help with more accurate advice and comments.  It won't take long before your ability improves in leaps and bounds the more you build, I speak for myself that I am still learning but I am sure that most of the forum would say the same.  If we knew everything about modelling it would be pretty boring!

So for war gaming, wings of glory?

I hope to see some of your work, enjoy the forum,

Regards

Justin
Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.                             
Churchill: Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober!

Nancy Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.
Churchill: If I were your husband I would take it.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Justin.

The war game isn't Wings of Glory. It's a home-brewed set that my friend published online - it's called Blazing Skies.

Here's a picture, taken last weekend, of our latest fight in which the Brisfit damaged and forced down the Hannover behind Allied lines. I made the stands from plasticard and rod. Both aircraft were built by me.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
Welcome aboard, Squiffy  ;)
Enjoy!

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
Welcome to the best forum on the planet, Squiffy.  Great to have you aboard.  As time goes by and your confidence grows (I assure you, it will), I hope to see more of your work here.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Squiffy. It's a friendly and inspiring place. There's some super modellers here but still room for duffers like me, who had to pluck up the nerve to display anything at all.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 04:49:33 AM »
Welcome aboard, Squiffy! I'm a noob at building WWI aircraft and am posting my first build (Fokker D.VII) progress here, albeit slowly. I can definitely say that I've learned TONS from all the fine folks here. Don't be shy about posting photos of your work  :)

One question on your simulation: how do you account for altitude? Some of the games I've seen have height-adjustable stands for that purpose.

Again, Welcome to the forum!

Mark G.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 06:01:19 AM »

One question on your simulation: how do you account for altitude? Some of the games I've seen have height-adjustable stands for that purpose.

Good question, Mark. The simple answer is the S.E.1 and S.E.1a (Stand Experimental 1 and 1a  ;D ) don't have any method of accounting for altitude and this is recorded on the player's cockpit (laminated sheet). I have considered using ariels from old transistor radios and I also want to incorporate some method of adjusting the attitude of the models to show if they are climbing or diving, and/or banking. Some sort of ball joint is in order, I think, but I have yet to work out how to do it as it's got to be precisely made to allow for adjustment but not allow the models to flop about.

Thanks for the other welcomes, chaps. I'll see about putting up some pictures but be gentle and don't shoot me down in flames.  :P

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »
I'll see about putting up some pictures but be gentle and don't shoot me down in flames.  :P

No flamers here, Squiffy  :D
All tickled plastic is welcome within these cyber walls.

Cheers,
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
Welcome to the best forum on the planet, Squiffy.  Great to have you aboard.  As time goes by and your confidence grows (I assure you, it will), I hope to see more of your work here.
Cheers,
Bud

I can't say it any better than my Amigo Bud! A very warm welcome to you!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Welcome Squiffy!
Don't be afraid to post pics, you won't get anything but positive feedback and advice. We're all here to improve....

Ian

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »
Hello Squiffy,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you won't regret it!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:39:48 AM »

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Welcome, Squiffy. Nice to meet you.

Lindsay

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 03:45:34 AM »
Glad to have you in the Group Squiffy. Lots of good info, advice, and help available here; Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance