Author Topic: Sigh...  (Read 1159 times)

Offline treadhead1944

Sigh...
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »
I am feeling a bit down today. My birthday always does that to me. It always seems that on this day I can't focus on the magnitude of positives in my life (of which I count this community as a huge one), but I always seem to focus on my failures. I know that tomorrow will be better, and I have a beautiful Se5a on the bench that I am working hard at doing justice to, and I have an equally magnificent Dh9a sitting on deck, with a list of "do betters" to make this one better than the first. And I have my happy place on the interests, where Steve and Bo discuss knickers elastic, and I am pretty sure all the folks know who the Knigghts who say "Ni!" are. And I know for sure that they are always willing to offer support and encouragement to all who share their love of early aviation...

Thanks guys.

Offline lone modeller

Re: Sigh...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »
Sorry to read that you are feeling down on your birthday. I admit that I gave up celebrating such days decades ago - even though those around me wanted to. I think that they are just another day in my life and I treat them accordingly.
I too know something about thinking about what I have not done or not done well, and sometimes have problems accepting the positive comments of others, but I have learned that what others write here is genuine and true: acceptance of their comments puts my negative feelings into a proper context and I can then put them where they really belong - behind me/out of my mind. I have written elsewhere on this forum that I had great difficulty getting the courage to put any photos on this site, and then did not return for five days because I was concerned that the reaction could be negative. The overwhelmingly positive comments that I have received on this site then and since have also helped me to get through a low period in life too - and given me an incentive to carry on modelling and even branch out into scratch building, when I did not consider that I had the skills to accomplish anything worthwhile. The people on this site are uniformly positive and encouraging, no matter what level we may be at individually. They are also very supportive at the personal level too: I just hope that these few remarks reflect the wider consideration that the members of this forum show to each other. They have certainly helped me…...

Offline treadhead1944

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »
LM, your words do help, and the support is palpable. Thank you.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
I hear you on that, Treadhead. The last time I endured a big 'to do' on my birthday was for my 40th- the wife insisted that we invite half the town, spend 100's on food & drink, and trash the house. After that, I was done celebrating my birthday.We all have certain goals and things on our bucket list and birthdays tend to mark progress, but you can't predict what will be going on when your birthday comes around.  Unless you go out of your way to plan something big, perhaps it's better to spend the day building models and thinking of all of the joy that this hobby has brought you and promises to bring in the future. This year, if I have but one birthday wish... for a WNW Dolphin and markings for Bannerman.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
Well first off a Very Happy Birthday, Mine was on the 17th. I know of the feeling, but have decided in recent years to not allow the day to affect my happiness. While we make a big todo on the kids birthday and my wifes birthday they have never really made much of one on mine. I've come to realize that its just another day. Same as yesterday and same as tomorrow. Whats important is to do what you love and take solace that it is to the best of your abilities in the here and now. You may feel that you have failed at various things, but what you have done is attempted, and learned, and grown. You cant fail if you dont try and so you cant learn and grow if you dont try. Think of it as a stepping stone. So dont dwell on failures as negatives, take them as a short detour to success. Easy to say yet harder to do. I hope all goes well for you today. Now get to the bench and sniff some glue and splash some paint and make magic happen. ;)
James