Author Topic: "Canadian" Fokker DVII "8609" and my 1st post here  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Bill Bunting

"Canadian" Fokker DVII "8609" and my 1st post here
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
Hello, I am a Canadian modeller and while on holiday in England, I ran into and met Rowan from Pheon models/decals last week.  I bought the Canadian Snipes/Fokkers decals from him for a very special, large project and in the decals I saw reference to this site.  Well I'd like to share pictures of my recently completed WNW Fokker DVII "8609/18" today. There is a good story behind this aircraft as it was one of the war trophy Fokkers brought to Canada after the war.  Many here may be already familiar with the story and I won't repeat it here.  I am writing an article for Scale Aviation Modeller International / Model Aircraft  regarding the story of 8609/18, this model and a story about a  full size replica under construction in Canada.  In the meantime, here a a few pics of the completed model.  It was a straightforward build of the kit and I ran into no difficulties.

Please feel free to comment.

Cheers for now!

What's with the extra wings and all those wires?

Online RAGIII

Re: "Canadian" Fokker DVII "8609" and my 1st post here
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
Bill,
That is an Awesome first post! I think this may just be the first DVII I have seen completely covered in Lozenge with NO squadron or individual markings. It gives the aircraft a completely different,(and nice), look!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »
Bill,
 Welcome to the forum  ;)

A beautiful D.VII and a great back story. I look forward to reading your coming article.

Cheers,
Von Buckle

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »
Hello Bill and welcome to the Forum! (from beautiful downtown Cold Lake, Alberta)

Great Build of yet another Canadian Fokker; can you share more info on your Build? Did you use the Kit lozenge or, if not, what product? Not many know the history of the two dozen DVII's that made their way here after the war and I'd love to hear any history you may have on 8609/18. I know she was one of the OAW birds of the batch, and was flown by Bishop-Barker Aeroplanes Ltd. for a short time.
    Presently I'm working on 8493/18 as photographed at Hounslow, UK, with Andrew McKeever in 1919 with the 1 Canadian Air Force Squadron Maple Leaf marking, you may have seen the Build Log here in "Under Construction". Another of our Members, Gary Barling, (Trackpad) has the same subject underway and the third Member of the "Canadian Mafia" (so labeled by Rowan), Chris Johnson, will shortly be starting Barker's OAW, Serial unknown, #50 as flown in the Toronto to New York Air race of August 1919. My references are limited and it sounds like you have a "leg up" in that regard, any references you may wish to share would be greatly received!
    It's a pity that there was only one survivor of the wrecker's axe, were they all scrapped at the same time or do you know the eventual fate of 8609?
    I apologise for the "Hockey Sock" full of questions; it's exciting to hear that yet another Canadian Modeller is working on this subject and your post really caught my eye. More photos and info on your Build would be wonderful, and again, welcome to the best WWI Aircraft Model site around!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 02:20:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Bill!  You've done a beautiful job on this historic kite.  Like my amigo, Rick, I enjoyed seeing a D.VII in the raw.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline justin1980

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:24 AM »
Welcome Bill,

A cracking build of another Canuck Fokker, looks stunning, fantastic finish. 
Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.                             
Churchill: Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober!

Nancy Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.
Churchill: If I were your husband I would take it.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:45:58 AM »
Fantastic piece of modelling there and as RAG III has said a most unusual scheme. Welcome to the best WW1 aircraft forum on the net - hope you will post more in future.

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 07:20:45 AM »
I love it.
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Bill, and the beautiful D.VII is as well.
Wonderful job on an unusual version of the famous aeroplane.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Welcome to this wonderful, friendly forum Bill ant thanks for sharing this lovely build with us.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:08 AM »
Great introduction, Bill. I hope you stick around and show us more.

Lindsay

Offline Bill Bunting

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!   And thanks for the kind comments on the model I have just joined this forum and not had much time to look around but I can already see that the standard is very high here !

This DVII is my first WNW kit and my first 1/32 WW1 subject and although I had some great successes, I've learned a couple of dead ends too and will try different techniques next time. 

I'm afraid I can't go into too much detail on the build as I have to reserve that for the magazine article.  I can say that the kit was built out of the (OAW) box but the decals were changed to 5 colour WNW decals and a couple of small mods were made to match the original "8609/18".

In regards to the story behind the original, all of my information was provided members of "The Vintage Aviation Team" in Brampton Ontario Canada.  Not to be confused with The Vintage Aviator group in NZ, TVAT is in the process of building a full scale flying replica of 8609/18.  The group is a small one but enthusiastic.  This model was built for them to display alongside the "in progress" replica and (hopefully) keep them motivated!

For some background on the original, a useful article is Edward Peter Soye's article "Those Canadian Fokkers" posted at http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/38/language/en-CA/Those-Canadian-Fokkers--War-Trophies-and-the-Nascent-Canadian-Air-force.aspx.
For more info about the replica build by TVAT in Ontario please visit their Facebook page by searching for "The Vintage Aviation Team".

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more and eventually contributing more in this excellent forum.

Cheers!
What's with the extra wings and all those wires?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bill and thank you for showing us your stunning D.VII, for your first WnW and first 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft model you certainly have shown us that you are more than capable of tackling any WW1 aircraft subject. I look forward to seeing more of your work posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
Thanks for the Links Bill; I suspect I've all but worn out the Vintage Wings article over the past few years, great stuff! Please let us know when your article will appear in SAMI, I look forward to seeing it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
Hello Bill and Welcome to the Forum:

Nice job on the Fokker.  Looking forward to seeing you post more.  Great bunch of folks on this forum all willing to help a modeler out.

Best wishes

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....