Author Topic: Wire for Rigging?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Mark

Wire for Rigging?
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
For those of you who use wire for your 32nd scale rigging, what type and size (OD) do you use? Also U.S. source if you have one.

Many thanks!

Mark G.

Offline radio

Re: Wire for Rigging?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
You can use EZ-Line or Fishing line (braided wire) size 0,15mm and dark colour.
Martin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
Maximal Chameleon 2lbs test is .12mm, a good size for. main rigging in 1:32. The color is slightly brown, so it should be painted a steel color or black if you prefer. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain ... Or you can get it from Amazon.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
Maximal Chameleon 2lbs test is .12mm, a good size for. main rigging in 1:32. The color is slightly brown, so it should be painted a steel color or black if you prefer. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain ... Or you can get it from Amazon.

That's my choice. Very easy to work with and I think prefect thickness.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »
i think he means wire though not monofilament or what not. rigid wire is used by a number of ww1 modellers but its definately a minority. if you do choose this method used guitar string. you can goto any music store and buy individual strings. ask for stainless steel "8 guage high e string" this is the thinnest you can get . it comes coiled up in a paper pack just take it out and lay it out flat a day before you want to rig as sometimes a very slight bow can remain. some say you should clip a weight on it over night and that remove the bow which would only be visable in longer runs anyway.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
i think he means wire though not monofilament or what not.

Ah! Duh, sorry Mark for the useless info, I misread the question.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
   I've used guitar string to fill in for Mono (my first choice) for years. I particularly like it for bracing on undercarriage assemblies where Mono is difficult to tension without altering the set of the undercarriage struts. It also works extremely well for very short "runs" such as aileron control cables. Albatros 1234's comment on using weights to straighten it is important; I hang mine in the garage workshop with metal lag bolts at the ends and that keeps it pretty straight however I don't recommend using it for longer "runs' as a slight bow can creep back in time. Also you don't need to be a musician to figure out what's suitable; in my experience most brands come labelled with their size eg: "PL008   .20mm diameter". I generally use from .20 mm to .25mm. in 1:32 Scale.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mark

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »
Thanks for all the great information, guys! It's my fault for not being more specific in my original question.

I thought that metal wire would be better for the control surface cables as I was having difficulty imagining how to attach EZ Line to the control horns. I can see where wire also might be of use for the undercarriage bracing. So I'm off to my local music store to purchase some guitar string  :)

Again, thanks to all who took the time to respond!

Mark G.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:55 AM »
I bought .004 and .008 stiff music wire in 6 ft lengths from Amazon.com. They ship it in tubes. I rigged the 1/48 MS AI that I posted photos in completed builds in 08/13 with the .004.