Author Topic: how i spend most of my time...  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
how i spend most of my time...
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:37:32 AM »
Thought I might explain how I got my nickname/Moniker of "Flyjunkie".. first off, it has Nothing to do with me being a Pilot or liking Military Aircraft, nothing whatsoever to do with that. It's because I am a Flyfishing Fool. I have flyfished for almost 40 years now.. and actually make my living in the Flyfishing world. part of my "job" is to go out and pitch flies to fish as often as possible- usually once a week if not more...
I thought folks here might like to see pictures of me doing what i do best.. catch fish on flies...

Westlake Bass ~ Westlake is a private lake community nearby. i have access to a mini Bass Boat and am able to go out a number of times each year and flyfish for largemouth bass.. it is really a great deal of Fun.

a Baja "Dorado".. also know as Mahi Mahi.. these are one of my favorite fish to catch, they are soo colorful and they come well to the fly. and boy oh boy do Dorado fight !!! Baja/the Sea of Cortez is a personal favorite place to fly to and go fishing...

Your Humble Narrator tight into a serious Dorado.. !!

Carp in the Los Angeles river, near Downtown L.A.  yes one can fish within sight of Downtown Los Angeles.. We have this pretty cool Carp fishery.. and a good number of us Anglers choose to enjoy local time catching Carp on the fly.: they are selective, hard to get to eat a fly and very strong and determined Fighters..what else do you want when you go fishing???

I will flyfish for anything that i can get to eat a fly. I love Trout, but have caught well over 90 different fish species on a fly.. so far. It's all about relaxing, escaping the Rat race and just enjoying quality time...

Enjoy... ;)

DEAN ~~~ 8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:26:50 PM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Epeeman

Re: how i spend most of my time...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
Hello, Dean -

I did wonder about yours (and others as it goes) choice of forum names - the choice of name must say something about each of our own character!

Judging by the catches on show, you obviously know your game!

Out of interest, my forum name ('Epeeman') stems from my sport of fencing.  Three types of sword are used in sport fencing, foil, sabre and epee.   My blade of choice is epee hence 'Epeeman'.  Got into fencing about four years ago after I gave up shooting (due to combination of cost and the stringent guns laws in Britain) so wanted something to keep (reasonably!) fit.  Also tied in with my interest in arms and armour.  Also enjoy history of ancient Rome.

Be interesting to know how others arrived at their own forum names..............

Best  regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Nice fish :)

Forum names?  Well my name is Ian, and I am originally from a town called Doncaster, in the north of England.....

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
...uh oh...dont ask.......

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
Mine is my name (How unique!!) I considered using my Callsign from my flying days however "Bishop" connotates a religious nature and /or very "saintly" qualities. (NOT!) Now "Flyjunkie", theres a Callsign/moniker that makes perfect sense to me, especially given the great catches illustrated.
   So, out with it Steve, where does an ATC Guy get a moniker like Pepperman 42.....sounds like theres a story there!?
All in good fun!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
This is a family forum. No stories of that sort allowed. Actually not work related.....

Steve

Offline Piltdown Man

• ...an anthropological fraud
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
I wouldn't suggest posting any more carp photos. I think there's special "Carp Police" in Britain and their job is to report any worthwhile specimens caught. I'm afraid your fish counts. That's one of the nicest looking carp I've seen.

Trevor

PS. For what it's worth, carp anglers in Britain are truly a bunch of fanatical, single minded, weird, social misfits who will go to any length to catch a carp. And that includes taking daily water temperature checks, boiling baits for days, having radio controlled ground-bait dropping boats and so on. And these are their more normal traits. If you are not careful, they'll be camped in their tents all along your rivers and you won't be able to buy sweetcorn any shop within 10 miles of their location.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
This is a family forum. No stories of that sort allowed. Actually not work related.....

Steve
    Having generated a few tales myself over the years I can respect that!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:57 AM »
Lacking any imagination whatsoever, I use my own name much to the dismay of my kids who say that one should never do that on the internet. Something about axe murders finding their way to our front door . . .

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
Chris, IF your kids are right, I've really narrowed it down!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Chris, IF your kids are right, I've really narrowed it down!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   :o

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
  Dean,
Beautiful catches of the day my friend. Now I know exactly so what a Mahi  Mahi looks like in the wild,until now I'd only seen pieces on a plate.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"