Author Topic: "U10"  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Kreston

"U10"
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »
I have found conflicting information when it comes to the rib colors on the 4 color lozenge of Fokker DVII "U10".  Datafile Anthology depicts it as lozenge ribs and the WNW decal instructions show them as blue.  Was wondering if there might be a definitive answer out there???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:54:58 AM by Kreston »
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline davecww1

Re: "U10"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »
Well seeing how OAW was noted for light blue rib tapes, I would go with that.  Perhaps the restoration done in the 1960's did not follow actual fabric covering practice, or by the time that it was restored the original fabric was already missing?  As we can see in the modern photos, the lozenge as it now appears has lower lozenge on the undersurface, although if you look at the previous thread on rib tapes it says that the rib tapes were same color top and bottom wrapped around the leading edge. 
To find the truth we need to find a clear photo of the aircraft from 1918...
Here is one that I found posted by James vanWyngarden on the Aerodrome forum, and the rib tapes on the top of the lower wing are definitely a single light color, and since it was OAW built that would lead me to conclude light blue is correct.
Dave

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
yea i would think most likely the tapes were blue originally as the oaw factory is known to have used the blue type. this ws brought to light by dan san abbott a few years back, my guess is the restoration is wrong.

Offline Kreston

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I was leaning towards blue and think I'll go in that direction.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
well said. pale could very well be linen and thank you for your learned insight. i thought i remembered there being more evidence but this has been at least 5-6 years since ive been in a dsa printed fabric discussion.

Offline Chip

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:54 PM »
Repainting my Flair D7 as "U10" at the moment. I have used Humbrol 175 (discontinued I think) with some Black added to darken it for the fuselage and Humbrol 98 for the tail and nose - wondered what anyone else has used on a Jasta 65 aircraft?