Author Topic: fabric structure  (Read 1533 times)

Offline nuvolari

fabric structure
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm preparing my self to build a few 1/32 WW1 aircraft in the near future.
Up  until now, all the aircraft models I've build, where WW2,  and had a smooth metal structure, or where to small in scale to have a fabric surface feel.

I've seen some 1/32 German camouflage decal, on the net and here on the forum, who had or imitated that lovely fabric structure.
All fine, if you have to cover the fabric area's with those decals, but what to do with the surfaces that are fabric, where you don't have these ready made decals for?

So my first question is what is your receipt to imitate a fabric 1/32 structure, any paint technique, perhaps blank structured decals?
And my second question, what decal manufacturer, has in your opinion, the best ready made decal, that gives you the optimal surface structure like impression?

cheers,
Danny

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: fabric structure
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
Danny, I used microsculpt fabric decals over my Pheon lozenge and I will use it again over non lozenge fabric. I really like the effect. Before & after:

That said  even in 1/32 scale it is surely an exaggeration. Also it does have an overall darkening effect, something you have to plan for or live with.

Offline nuvolari

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »
Indeed Bo,

This is what I'm looking for.
And I don't think, that the darkening effect, is such a big problem, as in my view, this gives already a nice weathering effect.
Thanks very much, this tip is much appreciated.

cheers,
Danny

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:15:50 AM »
Re-reading this, the last sentence doesn't make sense as I left out that this stuff is supposed to be 1/48 scale:

That said  even in 1/32 scale it is surely an exaggeration.

http://www.microsculpt.com/decals.html

The site hasn't been updated in eons but as of a few months ago he was still active, I bought several sheets from him as backup.

I used my die cutting machine to cut these out in panels that fit between the rib tabes on my Albatros, it worked super slick and was a really fun job (not joking)

Offline nuvolari

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »
Hi Bo,

Your work is magnificent, and by using a CNC cutter you'll get the maximum out of a sheet, brilliant.
Unfortunately such a cutter isn't in my machine park yet, so I still have to do it by hand.
I just ordered a few sheets to give it a try.

cheers,
Danny

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
I am interested to see what you do with it...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
just another tool that i use is dry brushing. i mix a slightly lightened version of the base color and take a wide flat brush,dip and wipe off say 95% of the paint on a paper towel. then i stroke in one direction then 90degrees to that. its subtle but adds a touch of visual intrest imho. before they had the lozenge with the texture i used a similar technique which i called a lozenge filter which i mix as a violetish medium grey mixed with a good bit of future to make a translucent color that i then layer in diff directions at 90degree intervals to get a textured fabric look.

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »
Bo - just interested to know what brand of die cutting machine you have and what software package you use with it?
Woof!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
@Jim 13" Silver Bullet, comes with SCAL ("Sure Cuts A Lot"); I design everything in Adode Illustrator and save as .svg which SCAL can import. I chose the SB on the basis of the reviews it got for resolution and ability to handle heavy materials. Not cheap but a fantastically useful tool.

Offline nuvolari

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
Hi,

Today I've received two sheets of Lozenge pattern decal sheet from Aviattic.
And I'm really impressed with their quality, as far as seeing the quality of their print, that already has the fabric structure in it.
The lost of quality that Bo spoke about, by applying a second fabric structure decal over a flat Lozenge decal, is here by eliminated.
That doesn't mean that the fabric decal Bo mentioned isn't good, far from, it's still a very good product, that can be applied in many other situations.
But for Lozenge fabric, I wouldn't advice it anymore.
Even better, Aviattic offers Lozenge fabric decal in new out of the factory state, or a weathered faded state.
What also is interesting, you can buy the sheet, printed horizontal or vertically, depending on your need, to help minimize lost of decal material.

Also worth mentioning, when the product arrives at you home, it comes in a strong envelope, and protected in a sealed plastic back.
With a nice high quality instruction sheet, and a folder on their research into Lozenge fabric.

As far as applying the decal, I can not yet say what's it's like, but I'm convinced that the quality of the decal it self, is the same a all the other better decals that are on the marked.

I'm no salesmen of Aviattic, but I hope to get a procentige now after my plea. ;D
My motto is, if something is good, you must mention it.
http://aviattic.co.uk/aviattic.co.uk/Welcome.html

Cheers,
Danny
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:28:08 PM by nuvolari »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »
i agree with all praise of aviattic.