Author Topic: Drill bit special deals  (Read 15651 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Drill bit special deals
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »

Special deals for forum members only

I have made arrangements with Jason over at Drill Bits Unlimited to offer our members a special deal on 0.15mm 0.2mm, 0.25mm 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 4.5mm and 0.5mm tungsten carbide drill bits. Jason has opened a new page on his site just for the WW1 Aircraft models forum members and has listed the deals open to members only. Place all orders through this special page to receive the discounts. These are fantastic prices so I hope the members will take advantage of the deals. Go to the link below to place your orders, you will not find better deals on these sizes of carbide drill bits.

More sizes have since been added making this an even better deal.

Des.

http://merchant.auctivacommerce.com/s25472/WW1-Aircraft-Modelscom-Special-P4302731.aspx
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:26:53 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

Re: Drill bit special deals
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »
Excellent! Thanks Des. Now I can go ahead and break more.....

Ian

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Thank you Des! Just ordered. Pity for the high postage costs to Belgium.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Mark

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:50 PM »
Thanks, Des . . . just placed my order, too.

Mark G.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
Thanks for the link. I have used this site in the past and the service is fast and the product is great. The very high numbered bits are fragile so you may go thru a few in a pin vice so order a few of each number!!

Steve

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »
My set of 10 each of 4 different diameters arrived today (in the UK). I was impressed with the box they come in, ideal for protecting fragile drills.

Regards
Russell

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:27:56 AM »
My set of 10 each of 4 different diameters arrived today (in the UK). I was impressed with the box they come in, ideal for protecting fragile drills.

Regards
Russell

Regarding those 50 bit carousels -- when you first open the cassette check to make sure the upper insert is correctly aligned on its tracks -- it is possible for them to get inserted with one side on a higher track,  and you'll end up breaking a few bits when you slide the drawer back in if you aren't super careful.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
Jason has now added many more drill bit sizes to the specials available for members of the forum, he now has lots of 500 at fantastic prices.

Des.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:12:04 AM »
Des, what's the time limit on this offer? Just want to know where to slot this in on the Appropriations Committee approvals list. If it's time sensitive, I'll act accordingly. Thanks.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
As far as I know Lindsay there is no time limit, the page on Jason's website has been set up specifically for the forum members.

Des.

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
Thank you Des.

Adam.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Today I recieved my sets of drill bits, just 2 weeks after ordering. That's fast (faster than New Zealand  ;) or Hannants from the UK), although it had to cross the Atlantic.

Tried one 0,4mm today and it was as expected. I ordered a set of 50 0,4mm as I expect to use them a lot. They tend to get blunt very fast when I use them on white metal castings and tend to get stuck in the metal. Brass and polystyrene don't have this problem.

But it's a great deal at this price.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Russell

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »

They tend to get blunt very fast when I use them on white metal castings and tend to get stuck in the metal. Brass and polystyrene don't have this problem.

Blunt in white metal?

That’s surprising, I’ve not used my carbide drills in very much white metal so far but I’ve used the same set of normal HSS drills in a lot of white metal over many years & they are still sharp so harder carbide ones should be fine as far as maintaining sharpness.

White metal does tend to stick to drills though – I wonder if you are getting a slight build-up of metal on the cutting edge (not easy to see) which is stopping it cutting rather than it actually getting blunt?

Files soon stop cutting when filing white metal due to a build-up of metal on them rather than becoming blunt – this happens to a certain extent with all metals but white metal acts like ‘chewing-gum’.

Some designs of drill don’t work very well in certain materials – a deep spiral flute design is probably more ideal for white metal as it helps to prevent ‘sticking’ – the carbide drills have relatively shallow flutes.

Regards
Russell

Offline IvotB

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Russell,

Correction: my previous drills tend to get blunt soon when using them on white metal and so do other tools, especially files. And yes, I do clean the drills and files often during drilling and filing as the remains tend to build up and stick into the drills and files. But once they have been removed the instruments have lost their sharpness and a drill used for white metal is almost useless when trying to drill a hole with them in brass for instance.

Let's wait and see what the carbide drills will do.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Russell

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
Ivot,

Your experience with white metal as regards it blunting drills & files differs from mine - as I wrote earlier I've got drills I've used for years which have drilled a lot of white metal & are still sharp enough for brass etc; the same applies to files - but I have to pay even more attention to cleaning than you may expect.

There's nothing unique about a mixture of basically tin, lead & zinc that would blunt carbide drills (assuming there's no abrasive grit in the alloy). Drills & files (especially files) with a white metal buildup are very difficult to properly clean though, the normal wire brushing etc won't really do the job even if they appear to do so at first sight; I have to use chemical cleaners to remove what is effectively a white metal 'plating' on the tools.

The big problem with the carbide drills in white metal is them sticking & then breaking so I'll keep using my HSS drills in this material for that reason. 

Regards
Russell