Author Topic: Help getting started please!!!  (Read 918 times)

Offline flygilmore

Help getting started please!!!
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:03 PM »
Hello, I have a couple of 1/72 kits on the way to begin.....they will be my first really since I was a kid.  Anyways, I tried the search feature without much success.  I saw at my local hobby shop a tube of model filler from Testors I believe, will this be an acceptable one to use?  Also, what type of glue should be used to build these smaller models?  I have both thick and thin CA....they are what I use to build my RC planes.  Didn't know if that would work or if I needed a plastic CA or cement???

One of the models is a Revell Fokker Dr.1  which is red.  I will NOT be doing red and instead will be using the factory Fokker streaked Olive Brown technique.  Is there a certain type of primer that I need so that my paints and taping etc. will withstand etc.?

Thanks so much for your help.  Now to try and read up on paint and decal application.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Help getting started please!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
   Do some browsing in the numerous "Under Construction" Threads here, there's plenty of great Build Logs with no end of "hints and tips" (another good place to snoop around)
    I personally use mostly CA in varying thicknesses and a little Liquid Cement (Tamiya and Testors) for glue on plastic. There are numerous types of Primer available however I use it mostly to ensure a complete finish on seams etc; wash your part sprues before you start in warm water with a little dish detergent to ensure any mould release agents etc are removed from the parts and your paints should adhere very well to the bare plastic.
   I find the Testors filler/putty too hard when cured. I'd recommend the Tamiya White Putty or Squadron Green Putty however everyone has different preferences. I'd suggest a trip to your nearest good Hobby Shop (or several if you are lucky enough to have them) and some browsing would help as well, and brace yourself, you can never have enough "stuff" or tools once this bug gets into your system!
Happy Building! 8)
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »
Tamiya "rattle can" Lacquer comes in fine and regular and is a good general purpose primer with a little bite, but you of course need adequate ventilation. As an artist you should know all about that stuff ;) Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned down to spray w/o cobwebs is also really good. I sometimes use Tamiya acrylic thinned with lacquer thinner, that gives it a little extra bite and works well as a color primer.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Just as sort of general getting started inpiration -- if you haven't already stumbled upon it, Des wrote up this great guide to setting up a modeling workstation, lots of good ideas and food for thought...

http://ww1aircraftmodels.com/page16.html