Author Topic: First-timer's Silly Question  (Read 976 times)

Offline Mark

First-timer's Silly Question
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
When applying lozenge decals that cover an entire wing surface, how does one mark or otherwise determine where the rigging attachment points originally were on the wing? I suspect that the decals are thin enough to see them, but I just want to make sure before I botch one up. Thanks!

Mark G.  :-[

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: First-timer's Silly Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
In most cases when you apply the lozenge decals the decals will push a little way into the rigging hole leaving a tell tale sign of where the holes are. Once the decal is dry just run the appropriate size drill bit into the holes to clean out the decal. If you are using a thick decal the holes will not be as prominent but should stil be visible.

By the way Mark, there is no such thing as a silly question  :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »
I echo the advice from Des on both points.  Besides Mark, we're all a bit silly here . . . Uh-oh, I may just have touched off another Monty Python schtick!  But it's not my idiom. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:17:37 AM »
The only silly question is the one you should ask but don't  ;)

I echo Des's method but often prick the location once happy with the sit of the decal with a scalpel blade. No real reason than to mark it and force of habit.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
I build small scale, so if I lose the rigging hole I hold the wing up to my worklight. The thinned plastic or hole becomes visible thru the decal. Then it's pricked with a needle.

Offline Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »
Thanks, belatedly, for the answers to my question. It's what I thought, just wanted some confirmation before tackling the wings on my Fokker D.VII  :)

Mark G.