Author Topic: 1/48 scale Nungesser figure  (Read 1760 times)

Offline davecww1

1/48 scale Nungesser figure
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Here's something I just finished, it is made from parts of 3 different figures in the Eduard Aeronautique militaire Francaise 1916 set.  Of course as is usual with the Eduard figures what comes in the box isn't reflected by the drawing on the cover, but using a set of legs from one guy, and a torso from another, and arms from both of these figures, along with a head with hair from a third guy, I get something close to a photo of Nungesser that I have seen.  Of course his face is not exactly that of Charles, but I think close enough in 1/48 scale. 
I painted it by first spraying with a black primer, then drybrushing it with white to catch all of the highlights on the uniform.  For the uniform, I used acrylics, and used thin layers with multiple coats to build it up while still allowing the highlights and shadows to show through.  the face was done with artist's oils, although I could never get the eyes done properly in this scale, they ended up as black slits.  I will get a better photo once it is mounted to the base and I plan on adding a walking stick as seen in many photos of Charles. 

Dave

Offline Rob Hart

Re: 1/48 scale Nungesser figure
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Dave, nice work on the figure. The medals and the shading on the tunic are very well done. I always thought Nungesser bore a passing resemblance to the American actor, Danny Kaye.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
Dave,
I am amazed at the painting you can do in 1/48th on the medals and details. I can't do that work anymore in 54mm/1/32nd. Very well done kit bash so to speak!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davecww1

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Here he is placed on a base in front of the Eduard Spad XIII.  Of course my camera does not have very good depth of field, his face is out of focus while the interplane struts on the Spad are in sharp focus...

Dave