Author Topic: "The Blue Max" by Jack D. Hunter  (Read 1634 times)

Offline rhallinger

"The Blue Max" by Jack D. Hunter
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Most of you have seen the the movie adapted from this novel, which was a seminal film for many of us.  I finally got around to reading the novel, and it was very enjoyable.  The writing is very good, and the story line is different enough from the movie to make it quite interesting.  If you have never read it, give it a try!

I found this used Corgi 5s paperback on eBay for $4.99 with free shipping:

I chuckle at the artistic license the cover artists take.  Let's have some fun with this.  Point out all of the problems with this picture! ;D

Cheers,

Bob   

Offline Rob Hart

Re: "The Blue Max" by Jack D. Hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
I read the book after seeing the movie also and, as you said, there are some interesting plot variations.

My comments regarding flaws in the artwork:

No ammo chutes for the guns.
Is the aircraft an all metal monoplane? I don't see any evidence of an upper wing and the fuselage appears to have an aluminum skin.
The goggles look like WWII RAF issue.
What is he holding in his left hand? Is it the top of a very long control stick?

BTW, I also recently read a novel that was turned into a movie; 'The Hunters' by James Salter. It is a fictional account of USAF fighter pilots in the Korean War. The movie is typical 1950s Hollywood fare with some decent flying sequences (imagine: Rambo flying F-86s in the Korean War). The book is quality literature in my opinion, vastly superior to the movie, and among the best historical novels I have read.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
Rob,
   Re: "The Hunters" you just brought back some incredible memories for this old codger. I believe it was in 1953 or 4 when I spent the princely sum of about 50 cents for that book, read it twice in 3 days, and transformed an occasional thought of becoming a Fighter Pilot when I grew up into an impassioned pursuit of my goal. Great book, had a couple or three 86's on the cover and, confirm my memory, the hero was "Cleve Saville"? The movie had the famed film clip of an F-100 doing the "Sabre dance" down the runway and turning to heat and light before your very eyes? I think I went to that one more then just a few times.
   Thanks for making my day! :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
Good work Rob!  Looks like a Dr.1 monoplane to me, too ;D. I also note a couple of bullet holes in the cowling that would apear to have either holed the fuel tank or hit the engine, depending on the angle of entry.  Either way, she shouldn't be still flying. ;D. In addition, Stachel never flew a Dr.1 in the novel. ;)

Cbeers, 

Bob

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
Lance: the hero was named Cleve Saville in the movie and Cleve Connell in the book. If you liked 'The Hunters', I also recommend this book by the same author:http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/02/11/reviews/010211.11maxlt.html

Bob: Didn't Hunter write a couple of sequels to the 'Blue Max'?

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I wasn't aware of that Rob.  I'll have to research it. :D. Thanks!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Here is a much cleaner picture. Click the picture for a larger image.

Appears to be a row of bullet holes in the rudder
Smoke coming from the first two holes in the cowl
Looks like oil coming from the third hole
I don't know what he is holding in his left hand
His scarf is very tattered
No cocking handle on the machine gun
Considering there is no windscreen his face is very clean

Des.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:28:45 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rlrimell

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:03:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

Been looking at the Blue Max again recently with the new Encore kit on the bench, and the recent Blu-ray issue. As I recall that classic poster was based on the  Peter Endsleigh Castle colour five- views in  the original Fokker Dr.I Profile booklet of the same time frame. The poster  artist deleted the wings and central struts to provide a clearer view of the pilot and guns-weird I know. The handle in his hand is the bogus trigger grip fitted to most of the replica aircraft in the movie-this same device is featured in the new 1:32 kit. We will be featuring the BM Pfalz in a forthcoming Special... ;)

Cheers,

Ray R.