Author Topic: Airco DH2 - Revell - 1:72  (Read 4205 times)

Offline frame

Airco DH2 - Revell - 1:72
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
Hi guys,
My name is Hristo and I'm from Bulgaria.
For a long time followed, with interest what is happening in your forum. I learned many things from you, and I am very grateful for that.
So.
I finally gathered the courage to presented you my last finished model. It's AIRCO DH 2 on 1:72 scale by REVELL.
Model as you probably know is quite poor from to detail, but it is one of the few of this aircraft in 1:72 scale, in which I work. There is no element of the interior, miss you hole under the engine, and he is very very poor. The wheels are disproportionate, gravity tank is unclear form and is in the wrong place. But whatever. Enjoyment of the hobby is precisely to make the models as real as far as possible. So I start to work. Scratch build a parts of the interior, instruments, seat and belts. Make required openings and frames. And for dessert a engine and gravity tank. Lewis machinegun taken from a model of SE 5, drums made by myself. I tried imitation fabric on the gondola and completed with a PE EDUARD for seams.
I applied camo scheme by REVELL: 6011 of 2/Lt C.Kerr N24 Squadron RFC, july 1916 (before being captured by the Germans). I try to use the information that this plane was brought to the front fully colored with CLD and subsequently received in PC 10 on the upper surface of the wings. Therefore cockades on the top wing with irregular contour.
The paints I used are Gynze Hobby Color i LifeColor. The technique is handbrush. Weathered with oil paints.
The vignette is made of natural earth materials - earth, any stones, wooden sticks, veneer, staples, static grass and any other handy tools.
Well, that's
I'll be glad to receive your feedback, criticism and advice.
I apologize for my not very good English.
Best Regards, Hristo.

Start with working process photos:

Plane:

Some details:

Vignette:

Some old photos ;) :

The end

Online RAGIII

Re: Airco DH2 - Revell - 1:72
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
Outstanding work on this old kit! Your scratch built interior is just AWESOME! The overall quality is amongst the best I have seen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »
Hristo,
   That's beautiful detail in a very small scale. You've done wonders with a very basic Kit, well done! The base is very nice as well, great setting for a real little gem! Your English is great, looking forward to seeing more of your fine work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Hristo!  What you've accomplished is nothing short of modeling magic!  Your detailing is truly superb and has inspired me to go the extra mile when I build my 1/48 Eduard kit.  That's a truly magnificent DH2 and the vignette is beautiful.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:26 AM »
That is realy good work Hristo.
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:14 AM »
I am glad that you told us that this is the Revell kit as otherwise this could have been taken for a much larger scale. Wonderful photos off how you completed the model and what an amazing amount of detail. I built one of these very many years ago and did some detailing but nothing like this. A truly outstanding build of what is essentially a poor kit. I have converted many pushers now but have produced nothing approaching this standard. Very very many congratulations

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:07 AM »
Hello Hristo:

WOW!  I remember building this in high school.  You have certainly exhibited resourcefullnes, skill and patience with the interior on this model. 
Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 03:57:03 AM »
What a magnificent piece of work, Hristo. Bravo! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best wishes
Nigel

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »
Very nice! Great effort. I just wonder what would you do with WNW 32nd scale one!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »
Hristo -

Welcome!

This is the best Revell DH2 I have ever seen - hard now to believe this actually was a Revell kit ............

Superb workmanship

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
Congratulations Hristo on completing and showing us this wonderful model, you have achieved a superb result for what started off as a very basic kit, and your added details have made the model very special, well done and welcome to the forum, I hope to see much more of your work.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline xmald

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »
A beautiful model mate! You have obviously put a lot of effort into building this one but the effect is superb! The best DH2 in 72nd I`ve ever seen! I like the windsock on your diorama very much!
Best regards
Filip

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
hello Hristo,

let me join to chorus and one more time say that your model is wonderful! Keep up the good work and post you more recent things in the work in progres section, I'm sure that you will find all the information and help that may be needed by the folks here.

Поздрави,
Сашо
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
Incredible work! I can't wait to see more from you.

Offline Adam

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Wonderful model.
Many many years ago I made such model. I remember that inside was a pilot with big mustaches. I don't remember who produced it.

Adam.