Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Pup interior/fuselage/wing fit - easy fixes  (Read 1303 times)

Offline GrahamB

WNW Sopwith Pup interior/fuselage/wing fit - easy fixes
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Hi,

I've almost finished my 2nd WNW Sopwith Pup and have noticed the various comments about the problems with the fit of interior assembly to the fuselage sides and lower wing parts. Many people seem to have resolved this, often belatedly, by tediously scraping away the fuselage floor (part A26) to half its thickness (or less). However, the culprit is the two semi-circular location guides on the lower wing part D5. A26 should be a flush fit with this - no problem on its own - but the two raised guides are too high and actually project above the surface of A26 so would prevent the side frames A17 and A19 (and hence the whole sub-assembly) sitting properly - problems then ensue. All one needs to do is, before any painting and assembly, place A26 into D5 and with a chisel tip cut the raised semicircular guides flush. This cures the first and most tricky problem.

At this early preparation stage it is advisable, if using the HGW set of 'turnbuckles' etc, to scrape back the vertical sides of D5 (the wing profile) to allow for the extra thickness of any fittings (and these can also be set into the rear face anyway) - as these two surfaces are buried in the fuselage there is no worry about cosmetic defects.

Whatever the good fit that is now achieved with A17/19, D5 and A26 there is still, independently, an appreciable gap between the fuselage wing profile and the wing chord. It is easily fixed, as another part of preparation before any assembly, by attaching a full profile length (judge this yourself) of 0.05mm thick strip on the underside of the fuselage wing cut outs and another part-length on top of this (again, observe then measure) - you can chamfer the two ends of the second piece to make a neater job. If you also make them stand slightly proud of the fuselage sides, when sanded back gently there will be little if any touch up with filler required. A tiny smear of surface filler finishes the job when the fuselage and wing are eventually brought together.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't only repeated what someone else may have already done elsewhere.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Looking forward to the Upper Hutt show next month - can't decide if the Roland DVIb is the one to get or I finally weaken and go for a Fokker DVII.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:03:02 PM by GrahamB »

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: WNW Sopwith Pup interior/fuselage/wing fit - easy fixes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:31 PM »
Thank you for the information, Graham.  I will be starting my own Pup this month
and will certainly watch for the fit troubles...and solution!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: WNW Sopwith Pup interior/fuselage/wing fit - easy fixes
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
Yes, thanks Graham, that's very helpful advice.

Good luck with your build Ernie.

Best wishes
Nigel