Author Topic: Airfix Old Bill Bus  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Airfix Old Bill Bus
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
I have heard talk around town that Airfix are going to re-release their 1:32 scale 1914 Old Bill Bus for the centenary of WW1. Only problem is that I have also heard that they will be using their 50 year old moulds but charging 2014 prices, doesn't quite seem fair to me...... :-\ :-\ :-\

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Airfix Old Bill Bus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
If that is true, Des, you are right.  A bit like trying to cash in on the cheap.  I hope not.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline gcn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »
Airfix are not one of the expensive companies and they do have 2014 production and distribution costs.

Offline Hannover

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
Its due for release in August. You can pre-order it for £19-50 including shipping to a UK address.

On eBay they sell for a minimum of £30 plus shipping. One ends today and is currently at £41-00 plus £3-00 P&P

So Airfix are doing us a favour by re-releasing it. No doubt they are climbing on the WW1 Anniversary merry go round but I for one will be buying a couple. I do hope the moulds have been refurbished a little though.

P

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »
Here is the ad on the Airfix website.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »
Airfix are not one of the expensive companies and they do have 2014 production and distribution costs.

Good point, gcn.  :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
One or two of these wouldn't go amiss, I'm sure theres some quite uncomplicated conversion options  for these. Truck bodies even then weren't complicated Heath Robinson affairs?

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »
Check out ICM's or Perth Military's new kit listings. WWI 1/35 figs of Russians,Germans,French and British infantry and equipment.

Steve

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
This looks like a neat build and has a lot of potential diorama possibilities.  I wonder if figures represented in the artwork will be included?  Airfix isn't doing anything different than Revell'OGram.  Revell has reissued it's USS Missouri continuously since what, 1956 and the then exorbitant price of $1.98 and is now at about $15.00 or so.  Same plastic, molds worn to pieces with some of the pieces in the kit just blobs of plastic.  I am looking forward to the Airfix release and will probably, no I will, pop for one.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
I can see popping for one, and maybe more if I knew more about how the chassis was modified.( if at all.)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
yea pepperman i got some of the icm ww1 sets. i got austro-hung infantry, ww1 russian infantry equipment and the 1910 maxim. i built the maxim in 3 nights. they only reason it took so long is i didnt want to build it like the instructions i wanted it to look like the box art so i had to nip and tuck. turned out nice though.

http://wwimodeller.co.nz/tag/icm-135-wwi-figures/

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Quite often with Airfix re-releases they feature the original tooling but with new decal options and new box art in their current style.  The 1:24 Stuka is an example of that - I always wanted this as a kid and saw a new box version at the RAF Waddington airshow a couple of years ago.  Airfix were there, and I asked one of their reps who confirmed this was a re-boxing of the original.

If the quality is anything like the Bentley Blower I built last year, expect loads of flash and ejector pin marks, but ultimately resulting in a good model - perhaps even better than that in the hands of the craftsmen on here.

I prefer the top version in the pic Des posted...

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »
Hmm, this is interesting news – I've been on the lookout for one of these, but evil bay prices have put me off. £24.99 seems fair, even if I have to put a bit of elbow grease in. And it is in 1:32 as well...

Thanks for sharing Des!

Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.