Author Topic: Decal Repair  (Read 1366 times)

Offline myotte

Decal Repair
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:26 AM »
So, first off, this happened to me the other day: (see picture below). Needless to say, Im thrilled about it.

Here's my question: I have a few unused decals in the set that match the damaged colors. If I cut out some repair pieces from spare decals and put them on the damaged parts with some Micro Sol, will it blend in with the rest of the decal or will it look like an obvious patch job? Has anyone tried this before?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Decal Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »
Before doing that, I would gently slice off the pieces that remained stuck to the fin and fit them back into place with slightly diluted white glue.  Then, spray a clear coat over the whole thing to blend it all in.  I've done this before with excellent results.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline myotte

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:07:36 AM »
Dammit, that would have probably worked great but the pieces stuck on the fin were fairly destroyed once I finally got them off.  :-\

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:10:58 AM »
Well, then, give you original idea a go.  I've done that, too.  It's just a little harder to get the pieces to fit exactly.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline gcn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:29:36 AM »
How about taking the whole thing off and spraying it. It's a simple enough masking job, it's what I always do as I can't trust my decalling skills

Offline myotte

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:07:37 AM »
How about taking the whole thing off and spraying it. It's a simple enough masking job, it's what I always do as I can't trust my decalling skills

I debated on doing that, but I worry that that paint may not match the rest of the decals.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:16:48 AM »
I would strip and paint, as the masking would be simple.  Also, as the rudder is well separated from the roundels then any mismatch in your colours would be barely noticeable.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
first of all with a bit of experimentation you can get the paint color so close you cant tell. if you do the patch method i think if you put enuff clear coat on it you might can hide the patch, good luck let us know what happens

Offline myotte

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »
Welp, this is how it ended up. Its passable and only really noticeable at the right angle. Oh well, lesson learned! Thanks for the help!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
Nice save...

A couple of coats of clear followed by polishing and it won't be noticeable from any angle ;)

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Nice save...

A couple of coats of clear followed by polishing and it won't be noticeable from any angle ;)
I agree.  Looks good.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
Looks better than some of my rudder stripes that haven't been patched  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler