Author Topic: Roland D.VI in a US camouflage scheme  (Read 3879 times)

Online rhwinter

Roland D.VI in a US camouflage scheme
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:45:22 AM »
Hi all, I found this Profile by Juanita Franzi of - as far as I remember - a post armistice Roland D.VI in US-Service, trying out a new camouflage-scheme.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=428382947237684&set=a.193638894045425.48364.171168422959139&type=1&permPage=1

I remember to have seen a photo of that plane too.
Does anyone have some more Information on that plane? Pics? Links? Literature?
Thank you!
Richard

P.S. With a bit more of Information I could well fancy, building the WNW-Roland D.VI in that scheme. Perhaps if Pheon Decals could... (*hint, hint*)

Offline BLOWHARD

• Great War In The Air - Dave Douglass Gallery
DAVE IPMS 16124

Online rhwinter

Re: Roland D.VI in a US camouflage scheme
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
Thank you, BLOWHARD! Seems to be a wonderful book for Roland addicts like me... There's a reference in this book to an article by Colin Owers in Windsock Worldwide Vol. 29, 2, that "covers experimental USAS day camouflage with many rare photos and spectacular Roland D.VIb colour profiles from Juanita Franzi".
I'll have a look!

Offline flypaper

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »
I have 7 photos of this a/c from all sides plus from above along with information about what the possible colors (chip card) used in its paint job. The only problem I am having is every time I try to up load them I get a to big message.

Flypaper

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
IIRC, some photos of that paintjob are included in the datafile on the DVI, but no mention of the paints used. Searching for Colin's article in Windsock vol 29 might be a good idea.

Stefan

Online rhwinter

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »
Hi, flypaper,
although I'll be ordering Windsock Worldwide Vol. 29, 2, soon to get hold on Colin Owers' article, I'd be very much interested in your photos... I don't know how to post big datafiles here on the Forum, but if you'd want, you could send them via a provider (e.g. this one: https://de.hightail.com/up?phi_action=app/orchestrateUpload) to me - although I'd love to see them shared with everyone here too! And I don't know what to offer to you in return.
Richard

Online rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Did it - thanks Red Baron!

Offline flypaper

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:43 AM »
Hi, flypaper,
although I'll be ordering Windsock Worldwide Vol. 29, 2, soon to get hold on Colin Owers' article, I'd be very much interested in your photos... I don't know how to post big datafiles here on the Forum, but if you'd want, you could send them via a provider (e.g. this one: https://de.hightail.com/up?phi_action=app/orchestrateUpload) to me - although I'd love to see them shared with everyone here too! And I don't know what to offer to you in return.
Richard

Hello Richard

I have hopes this will work.

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/flypaper2222/library/US%20Roland%20D-VI%20plus%20color%20cards

I have seen and read Owens article. I wish he had done more to identify the colors used better. The 3 cards I added show what colors were used in the US ARMY during those days very few were used by the Air Service, but, since the others were available some of them may have been used on the Roland and other scheme experiments.

Flypaper
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:57:57 AM by flypaper »

Online rhwinter

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:01 AM »
Thank you very much, Flypaper!!

Online rhwinter

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
Hurra, WingnutWings DID IT!! Thannnkyou!

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 05:59:55 PM »
At least we now have WNW's interpretation of the experimental US camo on the DVIb.

Nice.

Stefan

Online drdave

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
Where.?

Offline flypaper

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 12:10:42 AM »
I wondr how much interest there will be in it (world wide), after all it was a one of a kind and existed for a very short time before it was destroyed in a hangar fire.

FP

Online rhwinter

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:24:25 AM »
Yes sure, flypaper, you're right, but wouldn't the world be a lot more boring, if there were or would have been more Camels and Fokker D.VII? (My 5 Cents..)
Richard

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:42:19 AM »
actually I think there will be tremendous interest on the part of modelers towards the McCook Field Roland. It's a "different", very colorful yet bellicose camo scheme with excellent references avail yet still open to plenty of interpretation (the mysterious shiny metal appliqué on the belly! Bare metal foil? Alclad II? ). There are also several iterations of the scheme providing more interest. I bet we see bunches of them...