Author Topic: Which engine for Ltn.Wolf's Albie?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline WillScarlet

Which engine for Ltn.Wolf's Albie?
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »
          Not really a big deal, but I'll be building the WNW Albatros D.v and want to use the FCM decals for Ltn. Wolf's mount from July 1917, Jasta 5 and was wondering about which engine would be correct? The Dlll, or the Dlll a? Not that I'm adverse to researching that information, but I thought if anyone might know it would save me some time AND money in materials.       :-\
                                                                                                                       Will

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Which engine for Ltn.Wolf's Albie?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
          Not really a big deal, but I'll be building the WNW Albatros D.v and want to use the FCM decals for Ltn. Wolf's mount from July 1917, Jasta 5 and was wondering about which engine would be correct? The Dlll, or the Dlll a? Not that I'm adverse to researching that information, but I thought if anyone might know it would save me some time AND money in materials.       :-\
                                                                                                                       Will

I'd guess D.III, however given the serial number you can make a pretty educated guess based on production blocks. Also the info on when the switchover from D.IIIs to D.IIIas is out there somewhere. But seems only the last D.V block got D.IIIas, those were ordered in July but not delivered until autumn I believe.

Offline WillScarlet

Re: Which engine for Ltn.Wolf's Albie?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
     Thanks Bo, the decals don't give a serial number for his plane, so it may be unknown, or FCM just could not find it. The only matching reference I have that matches those listed by FCM is Windsock Datafile 152   Albatros D.V/Va at war - volumn 2