Author Topic: WNW Fokker DVII fok with lifelike decals  (Read 3862 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Fokker DVII fok with lifelike decals
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
Dave,
Very well done and in near record time ! I like the scheme you have chosen, should look really colorful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline drdave

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »

Offline drdave

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
I had a lovely chat with the GW SIG chaps and Aviattic Richard at Yeovilton yesterday. Richard kindly gave me a sample and I joined the SIG.

We were saying though, that this kit is a tricky build. It's not a beginners kit and shouldn't be thought of as easy as it's not rigged. The cowling and engine fit has to be exact.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
I had a lovely chat with the GW SIG chaps and Aviattic Richard at Yeovilton yesterday. Richard kindly gave me a sample and I joined the SIG.

We were saying though, that this kit is a tricky build. It's not a beginners kit and shouldn't be thought of as easy as it's not rigged. The cowling and engine fit has to be exact.

You are quite right about the Complexity of the build! It is more involved than most think!! You have done a Magnificent job on yours!!
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »
Wow great build in a short period of time!!! Thanks for the heads up on the building challenges and like you say the lack of rigging and the fact that its WNW makes it a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing!!!

Steve

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Looking fantastic Dave. And indeed what a speed!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »
You're making wonderful progress, Dave.  The Fokker is really a super
looking aeroplane.  I appreciate your warnings on the kit...that will be
of great benefit.  Thanks for sharing your build.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline drdave

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:28 AM »
Ah yes well....
This has turned into a bit of a disaster and been placed on the shelf of doom, im afraid.

There are several pitfalls in this kit that are not WNW fault but need care nontheless. The lower wing spars snap easily. Regluing them lost the dihedral, which was not apparent until fitting the struts and wings.
Not even close! Any confuration left one wing strut a centimeter too short, snapping a cabane strut in the process.

If you have this problem, reglue the wing on a flat surface with a cocktail stick under each wing tip to keep a mm of dihedral.

Do not add the U/C until the top wing is on, as otherwise it may foul the cabane strut attachment and weaken it or cause fit failure.

Even if you are covering the engine, you MUST complete the full engine support frame to make it rigid, as it seats a cabane strut. You cannot rely on the cowling for that and fitting the cowling is fiddly as the attachments are realistically frail.
You must fit the engine bearers correctly and then ensure that the chin cowling is fitted as the first cowling cover, ensuring it engages fully with the engine bearers, otherwise it sits 2mm too far forward, ruining cowling fit and leaving a gap in front of the oil sump cover.

So endeth the lesson. Its not put me off. I will do the next with Aviattic lozenge in the 7 Swabians scheme. Do try the lifelike decals too they are very good.

I found I did it better on the Snipe second time around too....

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 01:25:41 AM »
Sorry to hear of the fate of the Fokker, Dave.  Thanks so much for the warnings...
it sounds like a bit of a handful.  But, it has taught many lessons and your next one
will benefit by it.  The seven Swabians paint scheme is a favourite and I look forward
to you doing it. 

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
Yes, like Ernie, I'm sorry to hear about the Fokker problems Dave, but it is really generous of you to share them with us and help others in your wake.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 06:40:01 AM »
Dave,
    I feel badly for you however commend your positive way of dealing with the demise of what was looking to be a magnificent Build. I've been delaying the start of my first (of 3) DVIIs as there have been many cautions about the delicate nature of the engineering and critical fit requirements. I appreciate you sharing your unfortunate experience with the Forum; I for one will be taking a very cautious approach to the Kit. Best of luck with your next attempt.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »
Ah yes well....
This has turned into a bit of a disaster and been placed on the shelf of doom, im afraid.

There are several pitfalls in this kit that are not WNW fault but need care nontheless. The lower wing spars snap easily. Regluing them lost the dihedral, which was not apparent until fitting the struts and wings.
Not even close! Any confuration left one wing strut a centimeter too short, snapping a cabane strut in the process.

If you have this problem, reglue the wing on a flat surface with a cocktail stick under each wing tip to keep a mm of dihedral.

Do not add the U/C until the top wing is on, as otherwise it may foul the cabane strut attachment and weaken it or cause fit failure.

Even if you are covering the engine, you MUST complete the full engine support frame to make it rigid, as it seats a cabane strut. You cannot rely on the cowling for that and fitting the cowling is fiddly as the attachments are realistically frail.
You must fit the engine bearers correctly and then ensure that the chin cowling is fitted as the first cowling cover, ensuring it engages fully with the engine bearers, otherwise it sits 2mm too far forward, ruining cowling fit and leaving a gap in front of the oil sump cover.

So endeth the lesson. Its not put me off. I will do the next with Aviattic lozenge in the 7 Swabians scheme. Do try the lifelike decals too they are very good.

I found I did it better on the Snipe second time around too....

Dave,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties with the broken spar and cabanes. That being said WNW actually recently sent me an extra set of cabanes, why I don't know as they replaced my broken one Months ago. If you would benefit from receiving them let me know via PM with your address.
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
Well thanks for the warnings at least. Its a real shame youre parking this one as it looked/looks very good.

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
Sorry to read of your troubles, Dave.  She's far too pretty to scrap, though.  Take a break, then take Rick up on his offer and fix her.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »
Hello Dave,

Such a pity that your beautiful build should end this way. I had a bit the same experience with the cabane struts of the SE5a WnW. Braking very easely. I would certainly accept Rick's offer and try to recover as good as you can.

Kind regards
Patrick