Author Topic: [Question] Suggest on an airplane to build and other questions.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline blubasso

[Question] Suggest on an airplane to build and other questions.
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
Hello,
my first question: since I am not experienced enough as WW1 or Pre-WW1 model-builder i ask your help. I'd like to build something relatively easy, in 1/48 scale, because for my first one or two models i don't want to become mad, with all those cables and little cables.

Practically speaking ("writing" in this case), i need to understand well how "work" the WW1 planes. I have of course some knowledge of avionics in general but the solutions of WW1 are still obscure to me: is there also a book or website wich explanes well these stuffs? Plz, not physics formulas: i am a modeler, not a 1/1 scale plane builder... ;)
Same for the engines: if i want to build a decent engine i need to know how engine works, i know the theory, because i have car drive license but, in exemple, i dunno how radial engine are made in detail...

Thanx for the very appreciate help!  :)

P.S. If you find on my writings some really bad, as grammar, please don't hesitate to tell me. I swear i will not offend me...  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:47:44 PM by blubasso »
If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: [Question] Suggest on an airplane to build and other questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
Hello blubasso.

Your questions are ones we've all had to face at some time or another and you've come to the perfect place for help.

My advice would be that, if you're looking at 1/48 scale and a preference for something without too much rigging, try the Eduard 'Weekend edition' version of the Fokker Dr.1 triplane. Their 'Weekend edition' range offers the benefit of being a simpler build and cheaper.

As you gain confidence, you might then look successively at the Eduard Nieuport and Albatros models (there are various to choose from) and possibly step up from  their 'Weekend edition' to the 'Profipack' range. The latter are more difficult by virtue of the inclusion of etched metal parts but have the advantage of choices of markings..

In terms of support, you will find so much on this wonderful site. For example in the sections called 'Under construction', 'Completed models' and 'Hints and tips' you'll find lots of very specific guidance. Look too at Des's great build on the main website; different scale but really helpful. For engines, there's a whole section of the forum to look at.

You mention your writing and grammar and yes there are some errors, but remember, language is about communication, and I had no difficulty understanding your posting.

Good luck on this exciting journey!

Best wishes

Nigel

Offline blubasso

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Hello Nigel,
thanx a lot for your answer! I just saw the Weekend Edition on the Eduard site and i can say there are good WW1 planes to do. I will buy maybe 1 or 2 of those tho practicise and not too much crying if something goes really wrong ... ;)

If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
  Blubasso,
Nigel has given you some excellent ideas on kit choice my friend. To that I'd add that if the cost of the kit is an issue why not go with a kit less expensive to practice building on. I would suggest the Smer Fokker Dr.I or the Fokker D.VII in 1/48 scale. These are not the quality of an Eduards or a Roden kit but both do build up nicely. Once you're comfortable with your modeling skill then move up to the Eduards and Roden kits. Never worry about asking questions here,you'll find many of your fellow modeler to help you. Best of luck to you on your WW I project and I'm looking forward to reading your build thread.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
welcome to the world of ww1 aircraft, if you have any questions about your build please ask questions and we will do our best to help. as far as your english, its not perfect but i understand what you mean to say. you are not the first person to post here that english is not your native language. we will do our best to make you one of us.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:23 AM »
Hi Blubasso,
To answer your questions on WW1 engines, you may not need to know the mechanical properties of the engines used, but there were 3 types that I am aware of, the rotary, such as the LeRhone and Clerget,  the Inline, such as the Mercedes and BMW engines, and the Radial as used on the Salmson. 
Here is a link to the WW1 modelers web site, if you scroll down near the bottom there is a section of photos of various engines, and these will help you in painting and detailing the kit engines.  Beware though since these are all in present day museums, they may not be the exact colors as used in 1918, but are a good starting point.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/index.html
Dave

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
eduard fokker d.vii would be your best bet.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/tc/cleavered7preview.htm

or fokker triplane if you arent into decalling, most d.vii have lozenge wings at least

http://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/tc/tmcdr1.htm

but then many guys like to cover these with streak decals. i like to paint.