Author Topic: Humbrol Acrylics  (Read 902 times)

Offline IanF

Humbrol Acrylics
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »
Help please! I have recently started using the Humbrol acrylic range of paints. They claim that they can be thinned by water, but I have found that when being airbrushed they tend to break down. I know that Humbrol sell a thinner, but for the amount you get it seems to be excessively expensive. Does anyone know of a suitable alternative, or am I doing something wrong with the thinning of the paint for airbrushing? Advice please.... >:(

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Humbrol Acrylics
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
I have never used Humbrol Acrylics but from what I have heard they are excellent for brush painting especially with figure painting. As far as thinning your Humbrol acrylic paints I don't know, but I use Gunze acrylic paints and thin them with lacquer thinners, it works beautifully, that might work with the Humbrol acrylics as well, I use lacquer thinners to thin the Humbrol Enamel paints with excellent results.

Hopefully someone who has used the Humbrol acrylics will step in here.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Misterfriend

Re: Humbrol Acrylics
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
I had trouble when I first started airbrushing with Humbrol acrylics but that was because I was adding a drop or two of isopropyl to them, which is what I normally do when using acrylics. Unfortunately they react very badly to that and clump and clog and just go nasty. Someone over on Britmodeler pointed out my mistake and now i just use water and they work fine. I sometimes add a drop of acrylic retarder. Also i have heard that the quality of them can vary quite a bit so it could be that you got hold of a duff batch.
And i still hate the design of the pots as i always manage to spill more than i get in the cup!
Cheers
Segan