Author Topic: 1/32 WnW Pfalz D.IIIa  (Read 10049 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: 1/32 WnW Pfalz D.IIIa
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Hi Ernie,

I like this scheme very much, I did my Roland in Black too, so i am a fan :)

As for the gun, I would be tempted to leave it.  I would be more likely to make a bodge job of a repair!  I think the WNW engies are great as they are, so leaving the cover on or off is a matter of choice.  I usually go for plug cables, covers on, but that'sjust my preference.

I like the tail rigging too, very effective.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Love the scheme, Ernie! Nice choice.

LT

Offline mgunns

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:05 AM »
Hi Ernie:

Like the others, I would button up the engine and leave the gun alone.  I like this scheme, the pilot was in Degelow's squadron of which all of their Pfalz's were black with the white tail.  This would make a nice companion to Degelows White Stag.  Very nicely done on the tail rigging.  I have some of the Gaspatch Turnbuckles and will be using those on the DVII I am finishing up.

The lozenge on the wings can be a bit tedious, but pay dividends when finished.   Looking forward to seeing you progress through the rest of the build.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Many thanks Ian, Lindsay and Mark.  It's heart-warming to have modellers
with your experience and talent help and advise me.  I do think the black
paint scheme is classy.  Next time, I'll probably do one of the more colourful
varieties.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »
That's a great looking scheme, Ernie.  Black really suits the Albies and the Pfalz D.III/a's really well.  I agree with the others- leave the gun as is.  It's not really apparent and it's easy to break some other bits if you do try to move it, as I found out on my build.

I have sanded parts of the cockpit and engine area to within an inch of their lives and still have trouble that I will get
to in the upcoming installment.

I want to do another one of these and I'll be sanding down a couple of the formers before I even start gluing the cockpit-engine bay assembly.  The tolerances are really very tight.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Ernie

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
That is good thinking, Dal.  Learning what I am with this model will help
with fit troubles with others.  Thanks for your interest, my friend.

Cheers,

Offline Ernie

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 11:02:51 PM »
That's a good tip, Justin...many thanks!

Well my friends, here's a small update.  I have got as far as the lozenge work.
  First I painted the wings with Gunze Sail Color, followed by a couple coats of Future acrylic
floor polish. I'm a little undecided whether it's ok, or maybe I should stick with just white. 
I guess we shall see when they are all done.  The decals I am using are the Wood & Wire
five colour upper and lower lozenge, which I have to say are pretty amazing. 
They are very thin and take a bit of practice, but when they are in place they look wonderful.
They work well on curves and over bumps, etc. I have become quite a fan of these.
  As a beginner, I have a few oops's and a little off the mark when placing the panels
next to each other, but what the heck...I'm tickled that it looks almost like I know what I'm
doing. ;) ;D

Heres a couple of photos of what things should look like with the lower wing in place.  Not cemented
in yet...it's only a test.

That's about all I have for now, Meine Freunde. ;D  I presently am toiling on doing the rib tapes.
Very tedious work and somewhat fiddly.  I will be back with an another update when my hands
stop shaking. ;) ;D   Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers,

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 11:09:25 PM »
Very cool Ernie!  The lozenge and the overall scheme are very appealing.  This will be one sharp-looking Pfalz when you're finished.  ;D  Well done my friend.

Regards,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
Hi Ernie,

It looks terrific my friend. Very well done. This is a beautiful aircraft and the lozenge goes so well with the color of the fuselage. Outstanding work Ernie!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »
This is shaping up really nicely Ernie. I look forward to seeing how things progress.

Best wishes
Nigel

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »
   Looking great Ernie! I'm also going to be using the Wood and Wire Lozenge. I've got the stuff printed on a white base, is yours the translucent variety? It looks perfect on there whatever version you've used.
   Being only one step behind you I need to pick your brain a little; what did you use for the panels/step-ons on the left wing root? I'm toying around with some very fine brass sheet, (that's not working out too well) and considering some paper thin styrene I've got in the stock pile. Decals is another way..................what have you used/would you recommend?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
Bob, Patrick and Nigel, thank you very much for the kind comments!  It really spurs
one to try to do one's best with the encouragement of fine modellers as yourselves.
  Lance, thank you as well, my friend.   As far as I'm concerned, you are in the upper
echelon of model-makers, and I hang on what you can help me with in my modelling.
  Anyhoo, to answer your questions,  yes I am using the translucent version of the W&W
lozenge.  To tell you the truth, I didn't realise that there was another kind! :-[ ;D  I am
happy with this, but it is very thin and has to be treated gently. There are a few places
where the lozenge has "chipped" away on the edges and I have to patch them with new bits.
It's all a learning process.  One thing I have learned is as soon as you can, coat the finished
wing with a varnish.  The lozenge really doesn't like much handling. or bumps & bruises.
  As far as the panels and step areas, it was really pretty simple.  Before decaling, I masked
and painted the areas with Vallejo RLM02, the paint I usually use for the green/grey colour.
after that I brushed a little Future over it and then decaled lozenge as normal, right over
the panels.  Once set a bit and before the decal dried completely I used a sharp razor
blade to cut around the panels. The decal lifted away nicely leaving the panels uncovered.  The
thin strips between panels is just scrap decal that matches the surrounding lozenge pattern.  The
whole operation only took a few minutes and I was very pleased with the look.
  Hope that helps, Lance.  It will be interesting to see how you like the white-backed lozenge.
Thanks again for looking in!

Cheers,

Online RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »
Ernie,
I missed the post of your Lozenge work. I am very impressed with your results! Beautiful to my eye!! This will look Awesome once it is a Biplane!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, Rick.  I hope to have a progress report in the next
day or so.  As it stands right now, the top wing is pretty much done and I am toiling
away on the lower one.  The rib tapes can be a bit tedious. ;D

Cheers,

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
Ernie,

Excellent work on the Pfalz and great choice of markings too. I think the D.III/IIIa looks best in black. I always end up with at least one gun (even when there is only one!) slightly askew. As the others said, it won't be noticeable to anyone but you with the top wing on.