Author Topic: 1/32 WnW Pfalz D.IIIa  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Andi Little

Re: 1/32 WnW Pfalz D.IIIa
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 03:42:03 AM »
Excellent start Ernie - I'll be watching closely as I have the very same in the stash ... although I might suggest that I'll be building it even more out of the box than you??

Way to go fella!
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
    Great start on this one Ernie. You've passed me already, I've still got a few small bits to go on the engine before I can close her up. The trial fits are really tight and I have discovered there will be some "refinement" required to get the bottom wing properly fit. I hope yours slides together smoothly.
    And, like you, I am very much a fan of the HGW Belts, what a joy to work with!
    I'll be watching your progress here with no shame and great concentration!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
Gregory, Mark & Mark, Andi and Lance Thanks so much!  I'm happy that
you stopped by.
  Lance, being the artist you are, I'm sure when you unveil your engine it
will be breathtaking!  I noticed the same problem with the lower wing.  I
sanded the bottom (I think right) corner of the underside of the cockpit and
it did the trick. Fits like a glove, as they say. 
  Hopefully I'll have an update later today.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »
Beautiful work, Ernie.  It's a lovely kit, mate, and you're doing it proud. 

One tip, keep an eye on the fit of the fuselage halves at the firewall.  Even though I'd thought I'd kept the slots clear and cleaned up the edges of the parts, I still had a bit of sanding to do, before the fuselage closed easily.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »
Well don't fear... you made a great start already, and if you can build such nice models as you did show us so far, i'm sure that his one will be a jewl.

Cheers

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
Ernie,
    You lucky devil. I've been sanding and shaving for a couple of hours; got the fuselage and lower wing "almost" there but not quite.....................  and managed to "ping" the spent casing chute off the ammo cans, :( no biggie, at least I recovered it from the jaws of the carpet/lino monster!) I guess it'll be another day before I can post an update. The fit on this one is really unforgiving!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline radio

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
It is a very good beginning. Nice to see this.
Martin

Offline Ernie

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments, Dal, Zabu, Lance and Martin.  It is so encouraging
for me and is much appreciated.
  Dal and Lance, you are so right about the fit.  I have sanded parts of the cockpit
and engine area to within an inch of their lives and still have trouble that I will get
to in the upcoming installment.

Cheers,

Offline Ernie

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Ok, my fellow forumites, time for another little update. 
The cockpit area, being pretty well finished, is ready to be tucked into the fuselage.
First a quick look at the Master Spandau, which really look the part, I think.

Ok, now I'll start with this one, which shows the markings I have chosen.

After everything was cemented into place, I thought it, was going swimmingly until I noticed that the port Spandau is off kilter, being forced to the left by the engine.  I don't know how to rectify this other than
trying to force it to the right and attempting to CA it more in the proper line.  The next couple of photos
show this better.

Here's the nose area.  I have removed the engine cover but I'm not sure if it's a good idea seeing the
engine is not detailed other than a little MIG greasy/oily wash.  I don't know what can be done to jazz
it up a bit, or whether it needs very much at all.  I could use some advice on this one...should I even bother
to leave the covers off? 

ll

I'll finish this one up at the tail.  I have added the control cables with GasPatch turnbuckles and 0.5mm
brass tubing with 2 lb. test monofilament line.

That's about it for today.  Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers,

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »
I think you can get away with leaving the port mg as is. It doesn't appear to be very noticeable. I am not sure it is a good idea to attempt extra detail on the engine at this point, I think maybe button it up is the way to go. Tail controls look nice!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
I think you can get away with leaving the port mg as is. It doesn't appear to be very noticeable. I am not sure it is a good idea to attempt extra detail on the engine at this point, I think maybe button it up is the way to go. Tail controls look nice!

Got to agree with Bo. First it really isn't that noticeable and you may do damage trying to fix the MG. On the other hand, if you attempt it, Looking at the Photo it seems removing the gun, sanding the left ammo chute just a tad at the right angle and perhaps sanding the engine a little might straighten it up. A lot of work for something I Personally would let go.....
I also agree about closing the panels. Then again I usually do because I love the lines of these birds with cowling panels on.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
Ernie,
    I'd recommend leaving the gun as is and, most important, putting the cowling panels back on. If you really feel the need perhaps do a little extra paint detailing on the top portion of the engine. I'm doing mine that way as, like RagIII, I really prefer the sleek lines as accentuated by those panels. Lovely choice in colour schemes, and looking mighty fine to my eyes!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
Looking great, Ernie!  I agree with Bo, Rick and Lance.  Leave the guns alone.  You could end up doing some serious damage if you try to force it.  Besides, with the top wing on, you'll never notice it.  The scheme looks very cool and the tail rigging looks awesome.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »
Hi Ernie,

That's a very great progress my friend. The engine looks good as it is, your rigging at the tail absolutely great. I had sort of the same problem with the guns on the tripe. I must say that your going very fast Ernie. She is really looking very nice and I'm looking forward to see your next photo's . Well done!!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
Thanks so much, Bo, Rick, Lance, Bud, Patrick and Justin.  Your advice has helped
me tremendously!  I have decided to replace the engine cover and call that and the
wayward Spandau good.  This is what I love about our forum.  You are always ready
to help and believe me it is really appreciated.  Thanks again everyone for easing my
mind...my waning brain cells feel much better now. ;) ;D

Cheers,