Author Topic: Sierra Scale 1:48 UFAG C.I  (Read 5803 times)

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Sierra Scale 1:48 UFAG C.I
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »
Hello.

Here's the UFAG, a nice aircraft. Good plans and the bulkhead templates were very useful. I even made a planked floor with microstrip over card. Its a lovely model, these Sierra Scale kits are good. Plastic parts are a bit ropey, although the propeller and white-metal Schwarzlose mg are very nice. Might leave the upper cowlings off to show the mg and engine, as apparently not much is known about the interior of the crew compartment. Has an unusual gun ring too, which will need careful filing out.

Managed to split the plastic round the gun ring whilst sanding away excess plastic with sandpaper wrapped round a marker barrel :( The plastic is drawn very thin round this part, so be careful. A dab of liquid cement sorted it, I'll reinforce it with plastic strip later on.
Not a fault of the kit though.

The last pic shows the amount of overlap on the lower wing halves, which will give a nice sharp trailing edge (I also couldn't resist seeing how it looked ).

Interior so far from stretched sprue, bulkheads from spare plastic in the vacform sheet. Plastic rod is too thick, (same as the vac Aviatik) but its just a guide for the one which will be in brass tube, it also helps to centre the rudder bar and other details which I'll be doing soon.

I've also assembled the mainwings, and, as usual, cut off the ailerons to add later at a jaunty angle, lol.

There you go :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:50:21 AM by ta152c »
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Sierra Scale 1:48 UFAG C.I
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »
This is looking good already, you are doing a great job and I like the bulkheads you have added. Please excuse my ignorance but is it a usual practice in vacform kits that the bulkheads are not included?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ta152c

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:38:52 AM »
Some vacs do, but usually each kit supplies scale templates of the bulkheads on the 3-view drawing. I suppose in this case the fuselage is square, makes it easier. I usually cut out bulkheads from scrap card on the vac sheet, but 99% of the time you need to sand them a bit to fit.

Scale plans are generally available too, useful.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Those are coming together very well!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
  David,
I can already see this one going to be an outstanding project my friend. Excellent details in your interior as well. Keep up the great work.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
Looking good, what are your plans with the mysterious innards of the crew compartment?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline ta152c

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »
I'm not sure yet, see if I can find images of a Phonix C.I, it looked similar.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
  Dave,
I've never been able to locate any drawing what so ever of the Phonix C.I. What I did was to use my Datafile on the Phonix and the diagram of the interior supplies with the Sierra Phonix D.I kit. That maybe the best guess for an UFAG C.I interior.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Looking forward to the next update my friend.
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:26 AM »
Thats what I was thinking too. I wonder why it wasn't well-documented?

Regards :)

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:40:28 AM »
  Dave,
I've wondered the  same thing my friend. I know from the Datafile the type was used post war. You'd think someone would have technical drawing for the interior somewhere. I can only guess any such drawings weren't kept due to low interest in the type or they've simply been lost to time.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
  Dave,
How are your outstanding vacuform builds coming along my friend? Looking forward to the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
Are any of the Sierra Scale two-seaters avaible? I went to the site and it says they are out of production. I am very interested in all A-H aircraft. TIA! Steve :)

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »
  Steve,
You might want to try contacting Bob at Sierra. He may be able to run up the wanted kit for you. Generally the kits listed as out of production only due to a lack of injected details. So it may well be possible to obtain a kit sans the detail parts. I hope this helps and best of luck my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
Thanks Gregory! I'll him an email now.