Author Topic: Sierra Scale Phonix D.I 1:48  (Read 7595 times)

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Sierra Scale Phonix D.I 1:48
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:58:56 AM »
Hello everyone.

Haven't been on for a while, managed to delete a photo account I had. Anyway, I got this through the post and decided to sand it out right away. It comes with some nice white metal parts too.

Terrible pics, but at least you get the idea. Strangely, no bulkhead templates, unlike their UFAG C.I. Should be easy enough though. I'll get this plus the Aviatik D.I and UFAG C.I all done to the primer stage soon, then get better pictures.

One very interesting point : on reading the plans, it seems that both lower halves of each wing are made oversize in order to enable a better trailing edge. I'd noticed this on the Aviatik and UFAG too, so that was good news. I suppose it makes sense, as there were no plans in the Aviatik and I sort of guessed that the wing shape should be the upper ones, like a template.

Nice touch from Sierra Scale, thoughtful.

Sorry for the inactivity.

There you go :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:07:06 AM by ta152c »
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Sierra Scale Phonix D.I 1:48
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »
 David,
I'm looking forward to following this project my friend. Glad to see you've found an old issue of the kit with white metal parts instead of those awful plastic ones.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:04 AM »
Yes, you'd said before about the plastic parts, so thanks.

I'll get some more done on this tomorrow, sand out the openings for the engine, cockpit and lower wing, which I'm not sure about. I was going to cut them in half as I'd normally do, but this might add strength.

Regards :)

P.S. I'll try and upload some of the UFAG pics, hold on.
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »
Don't you just hate it when you delete photos by mistake, damn keyboards, the keys are too small for my chunky fingers.

You have made a good start on your kit, I have never built a vacform kit so this will be very interesting to watch, it may even convert me.

Des.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:21:51 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ta152c

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »
I'd give it ago, they are cheaper and you get lots of unusual aircraft too. Plenty of second-hand kits out there.

Regards :

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
   Des,
I agree with David you really should give one of these vacuform kits a whirl. Knowing your works it certainly wouldn't beyond your amazing skill set my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
Yes, you'd said before about the plastic parts, so thanks.

I'll get some more done on this tomorrow, sand out the openings for the engine, cockpit and lower wing, which I'm not sure about. I was going to cut them in half as I'd normally do, but this might add strength.

P.S. I'll try and upload some of the UFAG pics, hold on.

David,
Drat,sorry to have repeated myself again concerning those plastic parts. Looking forward to seeing all the latest my friend. Have you decided which camouflage scheme you're going with?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »
Not yet, probably not a Naval one though. I like the ones with the 'dabbed' dark green though. The Phonix seems to be a very 'dull' aurcraft in terms of markings :(

Offline ta152c

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »
Got some more done on this after dinner, mostly prep work. I used a bit of rolled-up sandpaper, believe it or not. I find it easier than a file, as it has more 'give', which can be an issue with vacs when cutting out cockpits, cowlings etc.

Note the ad hoc and workmanlike way I keep the wings secure, lol

Couldn't resist the obligatory overhead shot:) You may have seen the amount of overlap on the wing lower surfaces. This is intentional, and although I'll lose rib detail sanding them, the trailing edges should be nice and sharp =WIN

The lower fuselage has a cut-out for the lower wing, nice touch. Makes everything squarer. Will concentrate on the interior tomorrow.

There you go :)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:16:58 AM by ta152c »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
I'll be eagerly following this build log along with Bud's. As I mentioned on his thread, I've never built a vac kit so I'm going to learn a lot from you fellows.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »
Get a cheap 1:48 one and join in, you'll enjoy it. Sanding out doesn't take long, then you're at the stage (sort of) of a regular kit. Best way to learn, and if you make mistakes, as we all do :) then they won't be unfixable. I mean, look at the gaps underwing in the above pic. Plastic strip, filler.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Shaping up nicely!!!!

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
  David,
Excellent progress my friend. I'm looking forward following this masterful vacuform build.
Hihest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
good news buddy, i got the mold made for your hiero last nite. when i get home i'm gonna do a cast. now i just need to make it to the post office and send your goodies to you.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
Thanks Scott!

Enjoy your parcel when it arrives.