Author Topic: Fokker Dr.I Reference(s)?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Mark

Fokker Dr.I Reference(s)?
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »
I recently bought the Roden 1:32 Fokker Dr.I kit and have tried unsuccessfully to acquire any references to help me with detailing this build. My first choice was the Kagero book but it is out of print and my search has been unsuccessful in turning one up. Does anyone know of a source for this book and/or know of any suitable, available sources for cockpit and engine detailing?

Thanks!

Mark G.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Fokker Dr.I Reference(s)?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
I recently bought the Roden 1:32 Fokker Dr.I kit and have tried unsuccessfully to acquire any references to help me with detailing this build. My first choice was the Kagero book but it is out of print and my search has been unsuccessful in turning one up. Does anyone know of a source for this book and/or know of any suitable, available sources for cockpit and engine detailing?

Thanks!

Mark G.

Mark,
   You can't go wrong with Albatros Publications Data Files and Specials. Google Albatros Publications and take a look, I think their Special on the DR1 is still available. If I had to chose only ONE BOOK for reference on the DR1 it would be "Fokker Dr.1 Triplane - A World War One Legend" by Paul Leaman with Colour Artwork by Harry Dempsey. It's ISBN is   1-903223-28-8 published in 2003 by Ian Allan Publishing. It is a beautiful book, full of all the colour schemes, line drawings and photos you'll need and I have used it often.
   An excellent cockpit depiction is contained in Osprey Publications Duel Series No. 7 "Sopwith Camel vs. Fokker Dr 1", it is a recent publication and relatively inexpensive.
Hope this helps and good luck with your Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »
I would add Fokker DR1 Jadgstaffeln by Greg Van Wyngarden, Albatros publications. Great pictures, 1/32md drawings, and really good camo info.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
Another one to keep your eyes open for Mark is Alex Imrie's, 1992, The Fokker Triplane. There's no colour aside from the dust jacket, but there is a fine collection of photos (about 160), detailed and complete captions and highly informative text. The late Alex Imrie's name is definitely one I trust! Copies do come up on Ebay etc.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:58:01 AM »
I'll echo RAGIII & Nigel. The GvW Fokker Dr. 1 Jagdstaffelen  & Imrie books are the best, most up to date refs I have found. Lots of spurious info floating around in the older pubs so you need to pick carefully.

Oh, and the Kagero book is amazing, it's worth hunting down and paying a premium for if necessary.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:44:09 AM »
Mark
I have this book, maybe I can help.
Do you know this?
http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Mainpage.htm

Adam

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:40 AM »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply with your great suggestions!

I couldn't find a source for the Albatros Dr.I special but I did discover that my wife had bought and hidden their Jagdstaffein book which has now been liberated  ;D The Leaman book looks great . . . I found it on Amazon for $187-$269 (depending on condition) and Abe Books has it for $199 so at least I know it is available but a little steep for purchase right now. I did order Osprey's Duel #7 so between that and the Jagdstaffein book with its line drawings I should be set for now. Also, I'm following Paulo's wonderful build log on his Dr.I  :)

Adam, thanks for alerting me to that website. Not sure how I had missed that one, but I'm locked onto it now!

Again, thanks everyone!

Mark G.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
I second Bo's suggestion = The Kagero book gives you EVERYTHING for under $30

Steve

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
I've been searching high and low for the Kagero book (I have the one on the D.VII) and the only two I've seen are on Amazon: both "used" for US$4,189.00 each! LOL, I'll get by without it for a long time at that price  :)

Mark G.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
amazon also said austro hungarian army aircraft of world war one was 4000 bucks but i got one for $250

Offline Ollie

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:55 AM »
I was in the same boat looking for a copy back in November and I found several at Roll Models (http://www.rollmodels.com/) for retail price, $17.00 US Dollars. I emailed before I ordered just to make sure they had a copy and they said they had several. You might give them a try.

Ollie

Offline Mark

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »
Thanks, Ollie! Apparently they're still in stock--YAY!!!

Mark

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
yay is right!