Author Topic: Pfalz lozenge rib tapes  (Read 2068 times)

Offline gcn

Pfalz lozenge rib tapes
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:34:20 AM »
Im currently building the WNW Pfalz d.III with lozenge wings and I was wondering whether the underside rib tapes were in upper or lower lozenge.

Oh it's Hans Bohnings HB Pfalz from the WNW sheet if that makes a difference.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Pfalz lozenge rib tapes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
i really think it varied. i personally dont like how it looks with upper patt tapes on lower patt fabric. so i will put upper w upper and lower w lower unless the tapes were solid on the craft i'm modelling until i see decisive proof it was so. to me it doesnt make sense anyway. from what ive read upper pattern was always more scarce because it was used alot more. tops and sides as opp to just undersides. to the point where some planes like the halberstadt clii was seen sometimes with lower pattern on top and plain linen underneath,just because there was more lower patt around. so why would someone cut upper pattern into strips for lower tapes. i'm not saying it didnt happen because i truly believe it varied late war supplies were getting thin for the kaiser so whatever was on hand did the job.

Offline gcn

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I tend to agree with you in that it certainly looks better colour co-ordinated than not plus I don't think I have enough tapes to do both sides in upper Loz.

I asked the question because my WNW Rumpler has lower lozenge with upper rib tapes and I was wondering whether it was standard.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
wnw did that on the pfalz dxii release as well . i just dont like it and i dont think its right. to me it doesnt make sense. why cut up something you need more of. i assume they did the research but wnw has made mistakes before. also on the dxii many had light blue unders and loz uppers but all the wnw schemes have loz unders. so i say do what you want its your model. ww1 photos are so rare that much of it is speculation.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:15:00 AM »
WNW do not make mistakes..they make unavoidable errors.......... ;)

steve