Author Topic: Pfalz DIII/DIIIa Throttle  (Read 1056 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Pfalz DIII/DIIIa Throttle
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
  Can anyone confirm the throttle configuration on the Pfalz DIIIa (which I suspect will be the same as the DIII) I have all three Windsock Data Files on these aircraft however no cockpit photos nor cockpit GA Drawings are available. The detailed and indexed full profile drawings lead me to believe that the throttle was a "twist grip" type on the left handle of the control stick and there was also an emergency throttle rod with a handle on the left upper area just below the crescent shaped instrument panel. The only indication in the WNW Kit Instructions is a cable from the control column to the engine area in the rigging instructions. On the drawings in the Data file it's indicated as a Bowden Cable to the carb/ fuel control.
   I think I read somewhere that none of either aircraft type exists anymore? Any expertise out there that might help? ???
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:26:26 AM by lcarroll »

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Pfalz DIII/DIIIa Throttle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »
Lance to the best of my knowledge you are pretty much spot on. 2 Bowden cables run to the guns from the two trigger paddles. whether the cable from the twist grip runs in a similar manner or down the control column I can't verify, to my eye the two bowdens for the guns could be clipped together and appear as one though which means the other cable is the throttle cable. I've seen a pic somewhere of the control column  but for the love of me I can't recall where.  I used the online version of the pic of 4196/17 on pag 4 of the manual to try to ascertain whats what. You can see the aux throttle  behind the former just and the cables running from the control column though not quite clear enough for a 100% yes or no.

Hopefully someone may know better. Terri on Aeroscale is a Pfalz nut  :D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
Lance, I believe you are correct about the twisty motorcycle type throttle on the control stick. I'm not sure about the style of the aux throttle or whether it was even present. Seems likely, though I wouldn't assume it necessarily looked like the Alb pull ring thing.

FWiW, the RoF GA for the D.IIIa, not definitive, but their stuff tends to be well researched, so a good starting point imo...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
Keith & Bo,
    Thanks for the information, we all appear to be in basic agreement on the interpretation of the slightly limited material available. As for the Auxiliary Throttle Bo it's called a Carburettor Mixture Control Lever in the detailed drawings on Pg. 4-5 of the newer Data File #107 and is shown with a "T" handle as opposed to the "Ring" type we see on the Albies. It's title leads me to agree with your assessment; it's not an Aux. Throttle per se.
   I may send a PM to Terri Werner over on Aeroscale, I know the DIII and IIIa are her absolute favorites. I'll let you know if any more details surface.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
Lance.

Link to one of Jackflash's builds of the DIII on Aeroscale. The black and white sectional image shows the cable and possibly a Albie style hard linked rod type of aux throttle.  Last night it was late here when I replied I think the other lever on the left is actually the spark advance not the aux throttle.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=102665&ord=&page=2

Keith 

ROF is good for getting the idea about cockpit layouts, there are a few discrepancies but they are faily accurate generally.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »

ROF is good for getting the idea about cockpit layouts, there are a few discrepancies but they are faily accurate generally.

I agree, and that is the sense in which I offered the image ;) actually more useful is to climb into the virtual cockpit and have a look around, you do get a pretty good sense of how things are laid out. A potentially useful starting point, at least I found it to be with my Alby.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »
Well Guys, between my original interpretation of the available diagrams, your inputs and thoughts (and particularly the Stephen Lawson Thread and the ROF depiction) and another hour plus of cross referencing the line drawings in DIII Datafile #107 I think I've got it. I'd be very interested in your assessment of the following: (I'm assuming that the layout of the DIII was retained on the DIIIa as the modification to DIIIA was driven by the requirement to have the guns and their mechanisms accesable to the pilot in flight)
  From Stephen's Thread........... Part 10G in the Roden DIII Kit is called the "auxiliary throttle advance lever" and is located on the left cockpit wall immediately forward of the Starter/Magneto mount. It is also illustrated (but not labelled) in the ROF depiction. Taking it forward the term "spark advance lever' could also fit IMHO.
  Stephen also confirms the "twist throttle" arrangement referring to  the "rotating throttle on the control yoke head, part 24G on the pilots left". Last, he says "for further detail, to the left side of the left gun breach add an auxiliary throttle push lever. These items came as O Rings or T Handles."
   So, there are three controls to add:
       - The cable from the control yoke running forward (In addition to the two for the guns);
       - the aux. throttle or spark advance lever on the left wall; and
       - the Albatros style "T" or "O" Ring push rod to the left of the left Spandau.
   I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts on all of this. Isn't indulgence in AMS and "nit-noy" fun!!?? :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:18:51 AM »
The only thing I can offer is that the typical Mercedes D.III / D.IIIa pilot controls are:

Throttle (usually mounted on the stick in German aircraft)
Aux throttle. (For use in emergency should main control be damaged -- this is the "pull rod with o ring" found on Albatrosen. It was engaged by pushing all the way forward, then pulling back to set throttle.)
Spark advance
Magneto selector -- I believe the settings are 1,2 & Start
Hand cranked starting magneto
Water pump greaser
Fuel selector panel
Fuel tank air pressure hand pump
Tachometer
Fuel level gauge
Fuel system air pressure gauge

From what I can work out the above is consistent across aircraft manufacturers as it is dictated by the powerplant.

I do not believe there was a mixture control as commonly fitted to allied aircraft (and German rotary powered a/c).