Author Topic: Elastic thread.  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Andi Little

Elastic thread.
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
Hey chaps! ..................

Just thought I might mention this ... I've had the devils own job sourcing this elastic thread or whatever it's called. Must admit I didn't want to spend over a tenner on something that I didn't get on with, I know that sounds a bit tight, but it's a tenth of a new kit or several sundries that I could use more immediately (WHY, am I explaining myself here)?

Anyway, I've got this amazing "bead place" in the town, run by a couple of smashing ladies who really are the bees knees when it comes to things CRAFT. Mentioned the 'laggy thing and lo and behold got a phone call to "come see" what they'd found.

Is this the stuff ........................................?

It actually is quite flat until it's pulled pretty taught - Good for Brit' aircraft?? ................... a just amazing £1.90 for what you see here.

And, Sharron (The Boss) said she'd be quite happy to chuck them in the post, so a sort of mail order possibility is there.

Just thought I'd mention it. ......................... details if there's an interest.

Oh, ........ I'm UK based - as a point of clarification.

PS - How do you anchor this stuff, certainly can't poke it down a 0.5mm brass tube?

KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Jacek

Re: Elastic thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
I sometimes use this thread.

It is flat and quite thick, but can be subdivided.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »
Been lurking around the ladies sundry aisles in the supermarket again Andi?Lol!
Drill your hole in wanted location,put in a spot of superglue,dip the end of the thread into some CA accelerater,place end of thread carefully into drilled hole.Should instantly hold.

Dave.

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
I'm happy using fishing line,but my wife makes jewelry so I may have to check her craft box!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
may work ok on 1/32 depending on how much it narrows when stretched. the common width of rigging line is .12 mm and smaller on smaller scales like .1 for 1/48. one reason being most guys use .5mm tubing for buckleing which has an inner diameter of around.3mm so in order to pass the line back and forth thru it needs to be narrow enuff to do this. thanks for showing us though. i thicnk this would be perfect for guys who build the larger flying models like 1/12 ,1/16 or even 1/8 scale.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
I did give the elastic thread a go but didn't like it, it was difficult to thread through the small brass tube and depending on how much tension you apply alters the thickness of the thread which is quite noticeable. I much prefer monofilament which is a constant thickness, extremely strong and actually adds a lot of strength to the model (just like the real thing) and it is easy to use and reasonably inexpensive. But, it's like all things in modeling, each to their own, what works for one is no good for another, you use what you feel comfortable using.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
Hi all ................

Hmmm! Yes, this elastic thread. I'm not overly convinced either. I was a bit wary of it myself but everyone seemed to be banging on about it to the point I was a concerned I was somehow making things more difficult for myself by not having any (it's a daily thing with me) ... remember I'm the newbie so I believe everything I read on these pages.
And I think I also got a bit excited that I'd managed to track some down locally, and for a much better price than was advertised online (which was silly).
I've played with it on the bench, and while all the pitfalls became readily apparent I also discovered that I could strip it down ... I managed to split the 0.3 measurement into four strips so that bodes well for some bright ideas I might have.!!

I think it may have a place on my bench, and at a couple of quid I can happily experiment without pacing the room beforehand.

I was just trying to do a good thing fellas.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »
You did do a good thing Andi, letting members know what is available is always good news. Now, knowing that you can split the 0.3mm thread into four pieces has possibilities, they would be very tiny strips so could have many uses....my mind is ticking over  :-\ :-\

Des.

BTW, how did you split it four ways?

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Des..............

Easy Peasy lemon squeasy ... (that may not translate outside of the UK)?

It really wasn't difficult - in fact the make up of the thread is what makes it possible. The thread itself is of a "multi strand" construction, so you only have to "knick" it in the right place and it will pare off to any length you require - in fact just stretching the thread will then automatically chase the strip down the length. You'll probably have to cut the strip cross ways at your required measurement to stop it running away.
You will probably need some kind of magnification (I have milk bottle bottoms) and its just a case of holding the thread on the bench with one hand while you "pick your spot" and cut, away towards the tail. you only need a cut of about a couple or three mill' or so as it readily strips down as mentioned - if you get your "nick" too thick or thin, cut off and start again - you've probably wasted about a half inch if that.
I already have the notion to create "plugs" that will fit straight into the holes on the WNWs aircraft, there doesn't seem to be any turnbuckles on the flying wires so I thought to put the thread straight into a stub of 0.5 tubing (the stripped thread fits easily now) measure off my length of wire and fit another stub about half inch short of the measurement - I'm hoping that it will now be a straight "plug and play" process to fit the wires in nice and clean.
I guess you could put a spit of PVA or suchlike to at either end to facsimile the fixing - or, even a couple of floating "stubs" in between the ends ... that once it has been located in the wing (etc) they could be then be push to either end with a lick of some glue or other .... that might work - and look the part??

Does that help?
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »
Thanks Andi, I didn't realise that the thread was multi strand, it all make sense now and I can see how it splits easily. Your idea sounds very feesible and I would like to see your "plugs" in practice. I see no reason why you can't hold the plug in the hole then place a small drop of CA around it. Please keep us informed Andi with any developments.

Des.

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
Andi like you I found my source in a jewellery / craft shop for much the same price , it was my wife's suggestion I tried them  . I meant to get some at Telford but I couldn't find a stand selling it . I'm glad I didn't as this stuff is half the price and just as good .
Gordon
I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!