Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 /Revell 1:48 - Rittmeister von Richthofen  (Read 3092 times)

Offline KrzysiekK

Fokker Dr.1 /Revell 1:48 - Rittmeister von Richthofen
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:35:36 AM »
Hello again,

According to info I have found on the web, 425/17 flown by „Der Rote Kampffflieger” has not been painted red entirely. The only exception was bottom wings surface as well as engine shield, which remained light grey.
The straight crosses were implemented by Idflieg on 20th March 1918 and when I’ve done some research found out some photos with straight ones but left the Patee.. it was too late (looks much better to me at least :) (As 425/17 of MVR and its painting have caused a real storm among WWI experts, I assume my replica is not in compliance with documents)
Revell was poor but high quality set to deal with. I had to change the mechanism of flight feathers, which was plastic one and really fragile.
Rifles Spandau 8/15 made from plastic were to be switch for metal ones but all in all it was too expensive.
To sum up I would like to introduce Dr.1 by Revell straight from the box :D

Enjoy

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Fokker Dr.1 /Revell 1:48 - Rittmeister von Richthofen
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:06:15 AM »
Beautiful Dr.I, Krzysiek.  Your excellent rib shading really gives this monochromatic scheme real depth.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »
Nice one!

I like the shading effect - very effective.

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:51:14 AM »
  Krzysiek,
Correct or not the paint scheme aside she's absolutely beautiful my friend.I can't tell for certain on my monitor but it appears the Fokker streaking is barely visible under the red. Or is that your shading? At any rate the paint certainly shows excellent depth and great painting skills. What shade or shades of red did you use?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Maxfinn

• MaxModels
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:59:11 AM »
Very nice work!  You have done a great job making the monochromatic scheme interesting to view!

Mike
Mike Moore
I just love building models!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:17 AM »
A nice interpretation of a well known machine!!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »
A beautiful looking Dr.1 with superb painting, you have done a brilliant job, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
  Krzysiek,
Correct or not the paint scheme aside she's absolutely beautiful my friend.I can't tell for certain on my monitor but it appears the Fokker streaking is barely visible under the red. Or is that your shading? At any rate the paint certainly shows excellent depth and great painting skills. What shade or shades of red did you use?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks guys,

As far as I do remember (DR.1 was made 1 year ago) I have used Humbrol 153 as a base. Have been wondering how to make visible streaking on model and came up with this way of doing.
First of all I have mixed Humbrol 153 with some white paint to calm down reddish.
Later on I protected the surface using very popular among polish modellers household liquid to buy in every shop (which is used for protecting the wooden surfaces:) it gives good protection for enamel paint and leaves semi-gloss layer.
Next step was using the dry pigment and brush for streaking

That was all:)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
Lovely DR1 Krzysiek.  I for one am not worried about 100% historical accuracy - I need to concentrate on the modelling first!

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
I liked the finish, pigments do work well on these monocoloured finishes.

Nice work :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »
I agree the finish is top notch! My 1/28 DR1 is sitting in it's box in sub- assemblies because I'm at a loss as to a color scheme for her. With so many conflicting accounts on that scheme, it has made my head spin.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »
Very nicely finished Dr.1 Krzysiek!! Great weathering.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »
I agree the finish is top notch! My 1/28 DR1 is sitting in it's box in sub- assemblies because I'm at a loss as to a color scheme for her. With so many conflicting accounts on that scheme, it has made my head spin.

I hear you on the confusion of the various Color schemes MVR had on his beloved DR.I.. It was confusing to me and I'm building this exact kit that Krzysiek has built and painted soo perfectly...!!
I have mine setting in it's box, but not soo much for confusion over painting scheme.. More so because Zap A Gap glue melted the struts/Supports..(?!?!?!?!?) and I am hunting some Evergreen styrene that i can replace the melted sections with.... :-\

By the way Wonderful Job Krzysiek!!! and such inspiration to finish my own Revell Dr.I  !!!

"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »
Lovely looking Dr.1 Krzysiek, the red is not too bright,great.

Cheers

Pete.