Author Topic: Hand Carved Wooden Props  (Read 12667 times)

Offline Matt

Re: Hand Carved Wooden Props
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
If the wood glue is PVA based my concern would be that while strong it never really sets hard, rather goes into a flexible vinyl form which I doubt would sand...?  It'd be interesting to hear your friend's view.

Matt

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
If the wood glue is PVA based my concern would be that while strong it never really sets hard, rather goes into a flexible vinyl form which I doubt would sand...?  It'd be interesting to hear your friend's view.

Matt

Matt,
    I use it in wood working and it is quite sandable and dries hard as a rock. As I said on Des's Thread on the imported Tutorial from LSP I intend to experiment with this a bit; the results are quite impressive! I'll try CA and the wood glue to determine what works best.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Bughunter

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:36 AM »
I use the fast drying wood glue (EXPRESS in the name) and only once a problem, after a bottle was to old (a lot of years). With a new bottle it works again.
Important is a pressure during cure process. So I put my veneer pack (see one page back) for a hour in a bench vise. After that its rock solid and can be sanded.
For one air screw I put also a bit of Gunze brown into the glue to get some dark lines had success.

For results see my models in "Completed"-area.

Cheers,
Frank
Wikipedia says: A model is a simplified representation of reality.
So I create downscaled originals.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
Frank,
   I use a glue by LePage Canada manufactured by Henkel Canada, I think it's marketed in the USA under the same name. LePage has made glue here "forever", I used LePage paper glue in school as a child 65 or more years ago! Like you I use blocks and a bench vice to apply pressure to the veneer packs.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »
The paper prop sure is convincing!! and cheap!!!! The pear and boxwood props look awesome too!!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:33:31 PM by pepperman42 »
I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.