Author Topic: Three decal sets for the Salmson 2A2 from Wingnut Wings  (Read 4401 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

Three decal sets for the Salmson 2A2 from Wingnut Wings
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:10 AM »
Here are our proposed decals for the new Wingnut Wings Salmson 2A2; two sets for units of France’s Aeronautique Militaire and the third set for the US Air Service and a Polish post-WWI example.

32048 Salmson 2A2 in French Service Volume One

Nine examples from units:
SPA 102, SAL 1, SAL 14, SAL 17, SAL 263, SAL 288, SAL 33, SAL 39 and SAL 74

32049 Salmson 2A2 in French Service Volume Two

Nine examples from units:
SAL 259, SAL 18, SAL 40, SAL 71, SAL 16, SAL 580 (Used in Poland post WWI), SAL 10, SAL 32 and SAL 58.

32050 Salmson 2A2 in USAS and Polish Service

Seven examples from six USAS Aero Squadrons, the 24th, 88th, 90th, 99th, 104th and 258th plus a single example in post WWI Polish service, ex French unit SAL 582.

Prices will be:
32048 £12.75
32049 £12.75
32050 £14.00

We are seeking firm pre-orders for these three sets and if enough orders are received we would hope to have them ready in the second half of February – faster if the orders come in quickly.

Customers who place pre-orders before 14th January 2014 will, of course, get considerable price advantages with the French sets 32048 and 32049 reduced to £11.00 each and orders for both these sets will receive a further reduction to £20.00 for the pair. Pre-orders for 32050 will get the set for £12.00.

As always, no money is asked for until the decal sets are ready to send out.

An announcement about decal sets in 48th scale for the Gaspatch kit will follow in the next few days under a separate notice.

Place your pre-orders via email to:

[email protected]

Best wishes to you all for 2014

Rowan & Sabine
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Three decal sets for the Salmson 2A2 from Wingnut Wings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
Rowan

These three sets are amazing and now I can realize my favorite salmson with the winged snail insignia

My preorder is on his way

Best wishes for 2014

Offline miecio52

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »
Thank you for the Polish painting :D
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline Hannover

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
They look really great. Pre-order email on its way!!

Peter

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
What are you doing to us Rowan  ??? you have made it extremely difficult to decide on which set to buy, they are all beautiful, well done with getting these done so quickly. I will drool over them again then decide which ones to use.. :) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Just sent my pre order for 32050. Beautiful Rowan!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline zavod44

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
In WWII the 2nd SS Panzer division used a similar logo at Kursk to that Polish marking.  It was some kind of good luck charm the Germans adopted from the Russians.  I believe it was called a Domovoi.  Some sort of Russian folklore creature that lived under your porch and warded off evils spirits while you were asleep.  Maybe the Polish have a similar folktale.  I actually have a Domovoi Metal statue I purchased from Russia.

One way or another I'm ordering that USAS set, email already sent....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:24:27 AM by zavod44 »

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
That's very interesting. The emblem actually came from the French escadrille SAL 582, which was originally formed as SOP 582 (being equipped with the Sopwith 1A2 "One and a half Strutter" - French escadrille changed their designation during WWI to match their equipment). SOP 582 was originally based at Kiev in April 1917 and attached to the Russian 7th Army in May and that is, I presume, where the emblem came from. The unit was re-created in April 1919 with Salmsons as one of three reconnaissance escadrilles sent to assist Poland in its independence struggle and which seem to have been eventually absorbed by the Polish Air Service, taking their insignia with them. Quite a complicated history but the origin of the emblem seems to have the same Russian roots as your Tiger tank example.

Incidentally, The same "nose-thumbing devil" was also worn on William Barker's Sopwith Snipe's right hand Vickers gun, this time it was a bonnet mascot taken from a car but its origin before that is not recorded, as far as I know. I don't think Barker had any Russian connection and he probably just liked the irreverent association of the figure as it matched his own attitude to "authority".

Rowan

Leonard Cohen

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
In WWII the 2nd SS Panzer division used a similar logo at Kursk to that Polish marking.  It was some kind of good luck charm the Germans adopted from the Russians.  I believe it was called a Domovoi.  Some sort of Russian folklore creature that lived under your porch and warded off evils spirits while you were asleep.  Maybe the Polish have a similar folktale.

If it is indeed so, it may be something very local. Me personally, I have never heard about it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
That's very interesting. The emblem actually came from the French escadrille SAL 582, which was originally formed as SOP 582 (being equipped with the Sopwith 1A2 "One and a half Strutter" - French escadrille changed their designation during WWI to match their equipment). SOP 582 was originally based at Kiev in April 1917 and attached to the Russian 7th Army in May and that is, I presume, where the emblem came from. The unit was re-created in April 1919 with Salmsons as one of three reconnaissance escadrilles sent to assist Poland in its independence struggle and which seem to have been eventually absorbed by the Polish Air Service, taking their insignia with them. Quite a complicated history but the origin of the emblem seems to have the same Russian roots as your Tiger tank example.

Actually, these three escadrilles, 580, 581 and 582, came from France to Poland with the army under Gen. Józef Haller. This was the army formed from Polish volunteers who fought in WW1 fronts in France, Polish volunteers from USA, Brasil and Poles who served in Austro-Hungarian army and were made POWs. They came to Poland on time between April and June 1919 to help in the wars shaping the interwar Poland borders.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »

Nice choices in all 3 sets !

Best wishes for the New Year !

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
Thanks Ed and the Same to you from Sabine and I.

I haven't taken the chance to tell you how great it was to finally meet up at Telford as well as to see your wonderful models - I hope that they made it back across the sea without damage!

All the very best,

Rowan

Leonard Cohen

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

Rowan,

Yes, they all made it home OK. And thanks for kind words about them, very happy that you were able to see them in person.

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.