Author Topic: My Latest Reading Material  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

My Latest Reading Material
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:03 AM »
Although not aircraft related, I'm currently reading How Can Man Die Better: The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed by Mike Snook. It's one of the best battle studies I've read, as Snook is not afraid to challenge conventional thought with a new appraisal based on his military experience and eye for ground. I plan to read his companion work, Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift after finishing this.

As for WWI aircraft books, I just finished McCudden's Flying Fury which I found to be one of the most enjoyable autobiographies I've read to date. For a relatively uneducated young man, his writing style captivates the reader. I liked it so much that I tracked down a secondhand copy of Cole's McCudden V.C. to get the whole story of his short life. I've also managed to obtain a copy of Air of Battle too, so I'm well set up for whiling away some time on the sundeck this summer.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Re: My Latest Reading Material
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:30:49 AM »
I read 'A Killing For The Hawks', by Frederick E. Smith again last week. Still pretty good :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:06 AM »
Even though it's not focused on aviation, I highly recommend Tim Cook's two volume set, "At the Sharp End" and "Shock Troops". Cook is the Great War historian at the Canadian War Museum and these books are the definitive account of life in the trenches for the Canadian soldier. Lots of information on specific battles (especially relevant since we just had the 95th anniversary of Vimy), but more interesting is the account of day to day life for all the soldiers, which should be relevant for an interested reader from any country. They're huge books, but the way they're written, you'll burn through them like you're reading The Hunger Games!

Lindsay

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more Lindsay. I have both volumes on my bookshelf and enjoyed them equally. Cook is a very well regarded historian so I bought both sight unseen.

Have you visited Norm Christie's CEF book site?

http://www.cefbooks.ca/

He has some interesting titles including The Black Flight which I plan to get soon.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Nice find with the Norm Christie site!

Thanks for sharing that.

Lindsay

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
As for WWI aircraft books, I just finished McCudden's Flying Fury which I found to be one of the most enjoyable autobiographies I've read to date. For a relatively uneducated young man, his writing style captivates the reader. I liked it so much that I tracked down a secondhand copy of Cole's McCudden V.C. to get the whole story of his short life. I've also managed to obtain a copy of Air of Battle too, so I'm well set up for whiling away some time on the sundeck this summer.

Cheers,

Chris

Went surfing last night looking for McCudden's 'Flying Fury' and found a few listings state side. Checked iBooks at Apple and they also list it but I hesitated as their price is a bit steep compared to the printed word,  besides it’s hard to beat hard copy IMO.

Anyway, one way or the other I’ll have a read before to long.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
For WWI aviation my favourite is First of the Few by Denis Winter. It focuses on the challenges of aerial warfare more than the personalities but it does look into what made the aces what they were. For trench warfare my go to is still anything by Lyn MacDonald.

Steve

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
I've read a few excellent books by Peter Hart, Bloody April and Aces Falling, plus a few Derek Robinson
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »
Robinsons books are great reads. The Hornet Squadron WWII books are good but the Goshawk book is good too

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »
I've read a few excellent books by Peter Hart, Bloody April and Aces Falling, plus a few Derek Robinson

Having recently read Hart's Aces Falling, I'm going to ensure that Bloody April is on my Father's Day list. I have Goshawk Squadron and Franks' and Saunders'  Mannock book on hand now, as well as Guttman's The Origin of the Fighter Aircraft. As ridiculous as it sounds for a retired fellow, it's just a matter of finding the time to read them.

Another book I found fascinating was Kilduff's Hermann Goring: Fighter Ace.

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:29:18 AM by Chris Johnson »

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
Annie surprised me with Bloody April as a birthday present Friday and a bit of frosting that was slipped into the package was the War Horse DVD. A thoughtful lass.  :)

SO, I in for some enjoyable reading and viewing when I'm in kickback mode.

Paddy

P.S. I have Peter Kilduff's "Red Baron: The Life and Death of an Ace" that I ordered direct from him. A very informing and good read. With Chris' comment and my experience with the above I'll now see about getting his  "Herman Goring: Fighter Ace" in the future.
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
Annie surprised me with Bloody April as a birthday present Friday and a bit of frosting that was slipped into the package was the War Horse DVD. A thoughtful lass.  :)

SO, I in for some enjoyable reading and viewing when I'm in kickback mode.

Paddy

P.S. I have Peter Kilduff's "Red Baron: The Life and Death of an Ace" that I ordered direct from him. A very informing and good read. With Chris' comment and my experience with the above I'll now see about getting his  "Herman Goring: Fighter Ace" in the future.

For the past year or so, I've been doing a lot of my book shopping at 'The Book Depository' in the UK. Prices are generally cheaper than on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com, there are no shipping charges, and no sales taxes to pay either. I use PayPal and I usually receive the book a week or so after ordering it. Right now they have an additional 10% discount offer too.

For instance, the Goring book is $5.00 cheaper than on Amazon.com, there are no shipping charges or sales tax, and I think you'd get an additional 10% off, if I'm reading their ad correctly.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Herman-Goring-Fighter-Ace-Peter-Kilduff/9781906502669?selectCurrency=USD

The best deal I've had to date was with The Battles for Monte Cassino Then and Now from 'After The Battle'. If you look at the 'After The Battle' web site, the book retails for £44.95 ($73.00) without adding shipping charges. In Canada, it retails exclusively from their distributor at a ridiculous $144.00 which includes shipping and taxes. I bought it from 'The Book Depository' for a grand total of $54.00, shipped right to my door. That's quite a savings.

They have a great selection of specialty books, and from my experience, I'm extremely pleased with their service.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »
Outstanding heads up Chris. I'll be knocking at their door for sure. Thank you.

Paddy

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
I'll second 'The Book Depository', either the UK or US site (same mob but sometimes one is cheaper than the other due to currency shenanigans).
Good range, usually the best price without a doubt, good service and, in my experience living in Australia, fairly good delivery times.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline michael

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
i may be wrong but i think the book depoitory is now an amazon company
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”