Author Topic: Still plodding along- nearly finished  (Read 11767 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Still plodding along.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Wow. Fantastic engine! Congrats!

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:44 PM »
Good evening, everyone.

Again, thanks for the kind words.  Andrew, the only tips I can offer are to read Des' site, look at the amazing builds by the modellers here- especially in the "Under Construction" folder- and on the GWITA forum and don't be scared to try new things.  I'm still very much on a (really steep) learning curve of my own, mate.  Looking at builds like Pete Nottingham's, Dave's (Kong), Marco's, Keith's, etc not only provides me with inspiration and tips, they also serve as great motivation to give new techniques a go. 

Not much progress to report, I'm afraid.  I've spent a lot of the last few weeks either in Brisbane, sitting in the back of Bushmasters and checking COMMS installations, or getting a tooth surgically extracted.  Anyone who owns horses will know what I mean when I say horses have hard heads and are clumsy with them.  Things are getting a little chilly here, so being in Brisbane was a nice change.  But it hasn't left me any time to get up to the farm and do any painting.  I was up there last week, cutting firewood for the ex with my son, but that took all day.  Perhaps next weekend.....

So I've concentrated on stuff I can brush paint.  Here's a shot of the Pfalz's propeller, using pencils on a Tamiya 79 paint base.  This is "Take 3"- I've stripped two prior attempts and, if I hadn't got impatient and not put on the decals, I'd probably try again.  It's a bit redder and darker than I wanted, but I've learned some lessons for my next 'plane.  I've also used von Buckle's gear to make up some turnbuckles (here's a tip- those little bits of brass tube and copper wire have amazing rates of acceleration when they want to leave the tweezers) and experimented with making my own from brass pipe and fine wire.

However, patience being a virtue I don't possess in abundance, I also started on the Academy Spad XIII I bought., in deference to Gregory's recommendation.  I've been experimenting with wood grain, trying for different colours/types of wood.  I think I'm getting the hang of it, though taking these photo's has pointed out a few errors I need to correct.

Again, any comments, tips, suggestions and corrections will be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Dal.   

PS  I haven't put any coloured clear coat over the Spad bits, yet.  I'm looking forward to trying a few different mixes of yellow, red and orange to see how the different colours I've done will turn out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:09:06 PM by Dal Gavan »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »
Dal, that Pfalz prop looks perfect to me.  Outstanding work on the SPAD bits, as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
I do like that propeller - tell us more about the pencils you used.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
Thanks, Bud, but I can see about ten things I'd like to fix, not including the spinner.  But that's what this kit is all about- learning.

Carpo, the pencils I use are Derwent drawing pencils I got from an art shop here in Queanbeyan.  They're soft and don't scratch the paint like the kid's set I bought from the news agents.  There was a pack of four with Venetian Red, Brown Ochre, Chocolate and Chinese White, plus sharpener and rubber.  The set was on special for about $15, so I grabbed it. I've used the chocolate to outline the layers and add grain to the Venetian red, which I used for the darker coloured layers.  The lighter layers are the Brown Ochre with Venetian Red grain. I used too much red when I mixed the clear orange, darkening it a lot more than I like.  Next time I think I'll use Mr Hobby 85 ("Sail Colour") as a base, Brown Ochre for the darker wood and use a clear yellow to seal it.  I'd like to get the same effect that Bertl got on his "old worn out workhorse", for example.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline ericw43

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
Fantastic job sir on detailing the engine ;) It is possibly one of the best I have seen.
I am also a slow builder. Patience and having fun are improtant and that you have apparently accomplished.

Eric

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Thanks, Eric.  I enjoyed doing that engine, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

You're so very right about having fun.  I'm enjoying this build more than I have enjoyed the others I've done in the last few years- for a while my hobby was feeling more like a second job and this kit has cured that.  Hasn't helped me patience levels, though, I must admit!  :)

Dal. 

Offline ericw43

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
No need to thank me sir!
I am getting old and my time is limited:)
I have yet to build a WWI plane and my past is building wooden ships and due to the time it takes to complete on of them and my age, I have started to
Presently i am building my first plastic kit ever and it is a ww 2 airplane in 1/32 scale. For example...airbrushing is new to me sir ha. So even an old man like me is apt to learning!! I love it!
Between that project and painting miliatary miniatures, I hope one day to build one of these Wing Nut Wing kits and I am considering the Roden as my first.
I am also happy at the way your engine turned out sir. It is very inspiring to an old dude like me:)
Patience or at my age is it Patient hahahaah?
Thanks for your time amd the phots of your beautiful work.

Eric

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
Outstanding engine Dal, with that standard of work the Fee would be a breeze for you!

Your wood effects are great too - very very effective.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
Excellent work on the propeller Dal, it looks spot on in my eyes, and thanks for the info on the pencils you used, they will be next on my list of things to purchase.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »
Dal,
    Nice to see I'm not alone in the slow approach to build progress, makes me feel less guilty about my present "stall". Beautiful prop, I'd say about as good as it gets!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »
  Dal,
Outstanding work on your Pfalz prop my friend,love your wood graining. The SPAD bit aren't too shabby either,again beautiful wood works. I'm looking forward to seeing more of both projects.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
Lovely work Dal, the Pfalz prop penciling looks great.
Thanks for your earlier tips ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »
G'day, Gents.

Well I've finally got some paint on the fuselage and wings..  There's some touch-ups to be done, and a couple of seams that have re-appeared will need to be sorted, but I'm fairly happy with it so far.  It's not as garish a scheme as I first thought it may be.  My girlfriend chose the scheme for me by saying "I like this one!" when she was looking over my shoulder.  I was planning on doing Buddecke's plane, as it's a very simple scheme, but when one's better half shows an positive interest in your hobby, you don't quibble!

Taking the camera with me would have been a good idea, too.... The plane's currently in a cupboard up at the farm, to keep dust off the gloss paint used for the red and blue.  I'll nick up there next week to do the touch ups and take some photo's then.

Eric, no need to be formal.  I stopped being a "Sir" many years ago.  If you do wooden ship kits you have my admiration.  I've seen the work that the Canberra Model Shipwrights do and the skills required are simply impressive.  Would you mind posting a photo' of one of your builds in the "Time To Relax" folder?  What period of military miniatures do you do?  I tend to stick to pre-1815, particularly Napoleonics and Seven Years War (even though I hate and detest painting lace).

Ian, I still have to tackle my first rigging job.  I downloaded the Fee instructions from WNW and was gobsmacked when I saw the riggging diagrams.  I think I'll practice a bit before I try one of those.   :o

Lance, I like my girlfriend's term- I'm not being slow, I'm being meticulous.  It's not true but it sounds better.  The work you're doing on your Albi is not something you want to rush, either.  It's looking great.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Dal Gavan

Finally making progress
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
My son was able to bring the Pfalz down from the farm on Friday and I spent yesterday adding the decals.  There's quite a few touch ups that I need to do, but I'm finally getting there.  I also tried the first bit of rigging, on the undercarriage.  It's not as hard as I thought, but it is fiddly.  I used .5mm brass tube as the swaging clips, flattening them with pliers after I'd fed the invisible thread through the the turnbuckles and eyelets.

I still have to do the clear coats and a bit of light weathering, but with the top wing just resting on the struts it's starting to look like a Pfalz.

Cheers.

Dal.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:16:33 PM by Dal Gavan »