Author Topic: "Wings" figures worth buying  (Read 1523 times)

Offline stefanbuss

"Wings" figures worth buying
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:10:51 AM »
Friends,

the wings line, available via model design construction's webshop, has a lot of WW1 related sets of figures. I have read a lot of positive reviews, mainly in David Parker's AIR modeling magazine.

My question to you, fellow modelling collegues, is: Are those figures worth spending money (compared to, say, Kellerkind's stuff)?
I am especially ingterested in feedback on the seated figures, not the standing ones.

Regards,
Stefan

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: "Wings" figures worth buying
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »
I have the Fokker Eindekker seated pilot and the crew pair for German two-seaters and they are gorgeous. The moustaches are a little generous for my taste but are easily trimmed back. A variety of heads are included to give more individuality
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
James,

the Eindecker pilot is a very good example why I cannot decide if I like wings' offerings or not. The photos i've seen look very nice, indeed, but the pilot figure seems to be a bit illogical to me.

The scarf is flying (which looks very nice), but why? The figure, being an Eindecker pilot, is supposed to be sitting in an Eindecker (obviously). I can think only of a very few modellers who would be crazy enough (Bo!?) to convert an Eindecker into an example with running engine and turning propeller, which would explain the flying scarf.

I guess that 99% of all modellers wouldn't dare to start such a conversion, but would have a standing modell, with a shut down Umlaufmotor. Why should the scarf be flying, then? This looks weird, apart from the overly grown mustaches you have mentioned.

Stefan

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »
I am modelling a Fokker EV in flight, with spinning rotary engine and all, to be mounted on a stick, banking to show the underside.  The pilot is just what I needed  :)

I am doing a bit of conversion to include seat belts joining together over his stomach

It would be a very simple conversion to have the scarf laying down (it is a separate piece)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
That sounds a fascinating project Jamo.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
Indeed, James!  I like the idea of "in flight" modeling, amd would like to see more of it.  Please keep us posted.  I have occasional conjurings in that regard, but none have gone beyond the stage of mere musings. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
Hello James:

I too am interested to see how you do the Flying model.  Like Bob, I have mused but not made the leap from musing to building.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
I am away from home visiting family at present. Will start a thread on my return in a couple of weeks. Perhaps the 'accountability' of a build thread will help me finish something  ;)

Cheers
James

(enjoying the fuggy warmth of a Bay of Plenty summer)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey