Author Topic: Another Brisfit  (Read 3048 times)

Offline N.C.S.E

Another Brisfit
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
These are my offerings, my modellings a very low tech operation, the rigging was done black string, the whole aircraft was hand painted and it was done by me, nuff said. Comments on improving would be very much appreciated. In my defence it maybe worth noting that this is the work of a 15 year old.

You have to love wonky struts  :-\. the whole wing is held down by the rigging, I couldn't get the struts glued in because of the tight fits I discovered WnW had.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:52:24 PM by N.C.S.E »
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Another Brisfit
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
  This is a fine effort my young friend. I see the rigging was a little difficult for you,but not to worry with practice this will soon improve. I would suggest switching the rigging material from you black cotton to the nylon smoke colored invisible thread. Much finer material and easier to work with as well.   Anytime you've a question on a How To or technique just post your question and you'll get your answers.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Here's a link you'll find very useful .  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:53:44 AM »
  This is a fine effort my young friend. I see the rigging was a little difficult for you,but not to worry with practice this will soon improve. I would suggest switching the rigging material from you black cotton to the nylon smoke colored invisible thread. Much finer material and easier to work with as well.   Anytime you've a question on a How To or technique just post your question and you'll get your answers.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Here's a link you'll find very useful .  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html
I agree with every thing Gregory has said.  You chose a great color for your PC10 and your exhausts look really good.  Not a bad job on the engine, either.  For the rigging, like Gregory said, go with a 2lb test monofilament fishing line or nylon smoke color invisible thread.  At one end of each rigging line, preferably the bottom, drill the hole for the rigging all the way through the wing.  After you've glued one end of the line into a shallow hole in the top wing, feed the line through the hole in the bottom wing, add a drop of CA and pull it tight.  Slice off the excess with a really sharp razor and touch up the paint.  Another benefit to using nylon thread is that if the rigging is not as tight as you would like it, you can tighten it up with a little heat, either with a hair dryer or by striking a match, blowing it out (this is the most important part), and holding the match head under the line.  Just don't let the match head touch the line.  Disasterous.  Once you get the hang of this, you can challenge yourself by trying the turnbuckle technique.  Also, you can close up your seems a little better by running some 'White Out' along the seam.  Sand when it dries, then paint.  You've done a fine job on this one and I'm confident your next build will be excellent.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:35:22 AM »
Well, I wish I could have made a model to this standard when I was 15 years old!

If this is your first biplane you certainly jumped into the deep end choosing a Bristol fighter - rigging is one the hardest (and longest) thing to get to grips with - I still learning now and I a couple years from 50!

Agree with what has already been said about rigging and filing the joints.   By the way, no problem about brush painting - all my models are brush painted so glad to see another on these forums

Good effort, well done.

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:07 AM »
First off, N.C.S.E., I have to commend you for having the guts to post your work online. It takes guts to do it, and you're one step ahead of me, because I haven't yet had the constitution to put myself out there like you have. So good on you.

I'm also doing my first biplane, which is also my first model. One thing I'm really noticing took my work up a whole bunch of notches was to get a pin vise and micro drill bit set to drill hole for the rigging. They can be found pretty cheap (I think I found my set for ~$5 CAD) and being able to pull the rigging wires through drilled-out holes like Bud instructed just takes the realism up 10 notches. It's really simple to do, so the cost/benefit works out to be very positive.

I've also found with my brush painting (and any painting for that matter) that careful, judicious masking, while super tedious, really helps details stand out. The Tamiya tape that you hear so much about is really nice to work with, and a good, sharp scalpel will really help you get nice, sharp lines. Just make sure the tape is pressed to the model with a blunt object to ensure that there's no bleeding underneath.

Looking forward to seeing your progression, young sir!

Lindsay

Offline michael

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:29:55 AM »
Looks like us brush painters should form our own sub clan  ;)

nice work there N.C i wish i was that good at 15....come to think about it i wish i was that good now (50)!!!

looking forward to your next project  :)

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
Very, very nice, N.C. For somebody so young this is a very good model indeed, good weathering and good colours, you want to learn? This is possibly the best WWI forum on the net, with some of the worlds best WWI modellers who are probably all queuing up to give you advice right now.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:42:55 AM »
Thanks for posting these images of your model N.C.S.E. It's great to see 'young blood' building plastic models in this day and age where video games have become so prevalent. I haven't worked up the courage to tackle that kit yet so you're already one step ahead of me!  ;D  It's a very complex kit and you've done a good job building and painting it. Those tips you've received below will be of great assistance to you for future projects and we'll all be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
First off, congratulations on tackling a very difficult model and one with very complex rigging, rigging can be difficult at the best of times but this particular model stretches a modelers experience to the max. You achieved good results with your painting with the colours looking really good, I was never an accomplished brush painter so I went to the air brush. I echo what the other guys have said and if there are any questions you need to ask there are many very experienced modelers on this forum who are all willing to help as much as possible.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.
It's not my first model or my first biplane by a long shot, I've been modelling almost since I was born (at the early stages with generous help from my dad who's a retired modeller now) but it was my biggest model to date and my first WnW. It was great fun I can tell you, especially the interior.
Thanks especially for the advice, particularly the rigging and the white out trick, I've got an S.E. well down the assembly line but when next I get a kit I'll certainly take this advice on board. The Pup looks tempting from here.
I still play computer games, just that they have brisfits in them ;).
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »
G'day, NSCE.

Only 15?  You'll be a master by the time you're 20, mate, if you keep this up.

Well done.

Dal. 

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »
Well done!!! Keep up the good work. This is a complicated build and its nice to see the younger crowd here taking on these challenges!!

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:19 PM »
Well done NCSE, good to see a young'n on this forum. You'll find this forum a huge font of expert advice, knowledge and enthusiasm ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:31:17 PM »
Thats really great work mate and as Des says a very difficult model to build for your first time Large scale WW1 kit.
It's really great to see the younger generation building as it's so rare these days and you young'ns are the future of our wonderful hobby, we need to encourage and look after you guys!
My Son is also an avid builder and is also 15yrs old. Unfortunately we don't share the same love of aviation he's an Armor builder and his favourite subject is WW2 German tanks.
He's also been building for many years now and has developed his own weathering and building tecniques, he loves his hobby.

Keep up the great work and as Gregory says if your unsure of anything just post your questions here and theres always someone that will be keen to give you all the help you need! Heck I'm still learning and I"m old! ;D

The key to a great build is research taking your time and enjoying your hobby!

Sean
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:40:12 PM by modelmaker »