Author Topic: SMER KITS  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Modelnut

SMER KITS
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
Could someone tell me the quality of Smer aircraft kits? I see them periodically on my local shelves but haven't taken one home yet.

Thanks, Stan.

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Re: SMER KITS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
They are ok, some are close to 1:50, but if you see them cheap, go for it. Best ones are : AVRO 504, SVA.5, Camel, Macchi C.200 (WW2, sorry). Albatros D.III is closer to a D.V. Some say the Fokker Dr.I is ok. The 1:72 WW1 kits are reboxed Eduard kits and are excellent.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
  Stan,
As David said they're not bad kits and are inexpensive. Most are not a true 1/48 scale but slightly over or under scale. I've built most if not all of their WW I line and have no complaints. Actually for buck invested you get a good kit and one you can use as a learning tool for all the techniques you'll read about here like rigging,wood graining and so on.Once you're ready then move up to the more complex kits .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:24 AM »
I'd second what Gregory says, and, as inexpensive kits you can use them to gain valuable experience. Even with that, like any kit, you can still make them into nice models if you're willing to put in the hours.

Their Camel has the open upperwing centre-section, very useful if you want to make a 'Comic' nightfighter, which I may well do sometime.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Are there too many good kits out there to bother with these ones?  Just a qustion tossed out for debate

Steve

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »
  Dr. Strangelove.
I would respectfully disagree my friend. These too are good kits,sure they're not the most up to date but with a little TLC and a touch of extra work they too can be real gems.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
That would be the watershed point I suspect. Do we want to pay top dollar for the latest cuttuing edge kit or do we take the old faithfuls and breath new life into them? There is satifaction in both I think. All I look for in an old kit is a solid base. Over on the Hyperscale Airfix forum some of us built the 1979 1/72 Hurricane. I had a blast upgrading it. The shape was there, all I did was add some details - It was FUN!!!!! Thats what I want. At the same time I savour WNW kits and I believe thats why we all have a STASH of old and new!!!!

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
  Steve,
I've been following the Airfix GB there too my friend. There's some truly outstanding works there. What nick name do you go by over at Hyperscale,so I'll know which is your project?

I believe your right about getting satisfaction from building the old and the new. With me personally I lean more toward the old kits as I view them as more of a challenge and take more satisfaction from that challenge. But that doesn't mean I don't build the new kits as well, just not as often. You got it my stash is both old and new too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
Thanks everyone. I don't think I would be too disapointed with a Smer kit. Right now I'm having loads of fun with the 1/72 Revell kits. I am waiting for 3 more from Squadron to arrive. I do remember a Morane Salnier N from my younger days and sadly I don't think Revell is producing it at the moment. 

I really need to find my camera and figure out posting some pics of the ones I have completed so far. ::)

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Speaking of cameras can someone pass on settings etc for model pictures? I never seem to get it right.

Steve