Author Topic: Does anyone use CO2 tank instead of compressor?? (for airbrush)..............  (Read 1059 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
..........I ask because I have a chance to get a full set-up from a local guy that was brewing his own beer, but gave that up.
I can get a 10lb tank & regulator a LOT cheaper than I can get a nice compressor.
The tank is refurbished & labeled, so no worries there. Regulator is less than a year old, and is dual gauge, so will work fine for AB.

Just curious if anyone on here uses that method as opposed to compressor, and if so, any tips or hints?? Any cautions??
( Used to be a welder yrs. ago, so I know not to bust the top off ).
I appreciate any good advice...........this looks like a blessing to me, especially on a fixed income, but don't want to rush in.
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Not a bad idea Jim but like Justin has said the condensation is a worry, you will need a very good water trap. Also the regulator will have to be of a very good quality to allow you to get very fine adjustments in pressure depending on the brand of air brush you will be using. I use a compressor and vary the pressure between 20 and 25psi depending on the type of paint. One big disadvantage of a tank is running out half way through a job. A compressor may seem a little expensive but you will have a permanent air supply just with the flick of a switch, and if you have a compressor with a small tank you will not have any pressure fluctuations which can sometimes occur with a small compressor. The compressor I use is a single cylinder model with a tank, it came with a regulator and water trap and cost me $85 on ebay brand new.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rfindley

I've used a CO2 tank for years with no problems.  No noise, no humidity/water/condensation issues and can adjust my pressure from 0 to 35+.

WarrenD

Jim, I've not used one, but a good many folks I've run into swear by them. As others have said, you just have to make sure you have a good water trap, or even two!

Warren