Author Topic: Another acrylic paint question.................  (Read 1079 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
Another acrylic paint question.................
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
Is there an acrylic paint line that can be used for the engine details like I've seen?? ( "rust", "black iron", tarnished tin, etc. ) I have used the "metalizer" line of enamels in the past on other things, but no longer feasible.............I now need to stick to acrylics if at all possible due to some severe lung issues.
Thank again............... Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Another acrylic paint question.................
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Hi Jim,

Citadel makes some pretty decent water based metallic acrylics. Are they the same as Alclad or Metallizer? Well, no, but it is possible to do some pretty cool things with them nonetheless. I did my Albatros D.V fuel tank with a combo of Tamiya acrylics & Citadel metallic colors:

Offline olfogey

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
Hi Jim,

Citadel makes some pretty decent water based metallic acrylics. Are they the same as Alclad or Metallizer? Well, no, but it is possible to do some pretty cool things with them nonetheless. I did my Albatros D.V fuel tank with a combo of Tamiya acrylics & Citadel metallic colors:

Could you recommend a few basic colors?.........I know from snooping the website that the color names bear little relation to the actual color (lol)

Thanks for lead :)................Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

Could you recommend a few basic colors?.........I know from snooping the website that the color names bear little relation to the actual color (lol)

You are right about that! Your WNW J.1 kit will give you the Tamiya color call outs for the main finish colors. I love Tamiya acrylic paints although you will note that most people here consider them unusable unless sprayed. (I find otherwise but I seem to be in a distinct minority in this regard.). As for Citadel metallic colors, they recently reworked their entire range, but I found these colors useful:

Ironbreaker (darkish silver)
Runefang steel (decent aluminum color)
Auric Armour (brass color)
Hashut Copper  (copper)
Runelord Brass (another brass)

Also, as a detail wash:
Nuln oil
Reikland fleshshade (Good wash for leather effects)

Offline olfogey

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
Thank You! :) ...........very helpful.   Jim J -- "olfogey"

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 12:23:55 AM »
Thanks Bo and Jim, for bringing this up.  Very helpful stuff.  Bo, that gas tank looks like you crafted it out of scale brass sheet . . . wait--on this build, I'll bet you did! ;)  Seriously, that is a great metal effect with acrylic paints.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Bob