Author Topic: Fixing pastels?  (Read 8584 times)

Offline phs Paddy

Fixing pastels?
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »

After applying pastels as a dust or wash what is your method of choice for fixing the area? There maybe applications where the preference is not to fix.  I’m new at this and would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

Thanks for your time.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Re: Fixing pastels?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
Some modellers spray them with matt varnish.
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:28 AM »
Thanks for that David.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
I used good old Testor's Dullcote on mine Paddy, and it worked well.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:03 AM »
A spray of matt varnish or a carefully brushed on coat of Klear - the latter is ok if the pastels are brushed into the paint well, especially if the base paint is matt and provides a good key for the pastels.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
Hey, Paddy.  For me, it depends considerably on what I intend to do next.  First, I always apply pastels to a matt finish, brush off the excess with a stiff brush then rub them in with a cotton swab.  If I'm pre-shading, sometimes I'll simply spray on the top coat color right over the pastels.  If I'm going to apply a water color wash, I'll spray on a semi-gloss clear coat to fix them.  I like to use semi-gloss because the wash won't soak in, but won't bead up and run off, either.  If I'm dirtying up tires, I'll first spray the tires with a dull coat enamal then, before it's completely dry, I'll roll the tire in some loose, ground up brown/tan pastel dust and fix it with a matt finish.  Like I said, depends on what I'm doing.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
I tend to use MIG Pigments (similar to pastels) I apply them, always to a matt coat, then spray with varnish, or mix with a varnish and apply wet and I even mix them with varnish and spray through my airbrush.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »
Thanks very much gents. I think you all have prepared me to stick my toe in the water now. It's much appreciated.  :)

Paddy

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
My experience has been that any clear coat you apply will make the pastels look darker.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
true application of matt cote darkens colors, but how else can you fix them? this is what i do i just compensate by applying lighter color than i want knowing it will darken.

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
A very good tip there, cool solution.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
Ah! More good stuff from Rob and RB to keep me on the straight and narrow. Thanks gents. This maybe the day the toe tests the water. The more I study all the posts the more convinced I am that to bring around my bleach linen issue in my current project is to proceed with this technique.

Paddy  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:29:35 PM by phs Paddy »

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
true application of matt cote darkens colors, but how else can you fix them? this is what i do i just compensate by applying lighter color than i want knowing it will darken.

Hello Scott.

Thanks for your approach which is always appeciated and last but not least great to see you here.  :)

Paddy 

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
A very good tip there, cool solution.

Regards :)

Thanks for jumping in David and I agree that Scott's approach is a keeper.  :)

Paddy

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Some modellers spray them with matt varnish.

Hi, Paddy,

This is what I do, as ta152c says: just a light misting of Dullcote to seal the surface. I use pigments mainly on armour models, and I haven't noticed any apreciable darkening of them with Dullcote. Maybe I'm using too little to have that effect, but I'll watch for it next time I use the DC. Hope this helps!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."