Author Topic: 1/48 Breguet 14B2  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Rob Hart

1/48 Breguet 14B2
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:38:12 AM »
I'm going to build this flashy old thing for my next project. I know Hi Tech doesn't enjoy the best reputation for challenge free assembly, but it looks like a reasonably accurate and detailed kit and I think the subject is really interesting. How well it fits remains to be seen. The wing rib treatment actually looks better than what you get on a lot of mainstream kits.
My build speed is glacially slow and I work about 60 hours a week so progress will be agonizingly slow, but I'll try to do a better job of providing 'in progress' photos for this one. Has anyone else built this kit and can warn about potential pitfalls?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: 1/48 Breguet 14B2
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »
  Rob,
Looks to be another awesome project from your talented bench my old friend. Eagerly looking forward to following this thread.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jacek

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
Very interesting aircraft. I would like to have it in my collection  :D
Unfortunately I have not done this set, but I very eager watching how You do it.
Good luck.
Jacek

Offline DaveM

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
Hi Rob,

I'm very interested in this plane. I will certainly follow your build and wish you good luck. If it wasn't 1/48 I would try it too.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Quite and interesting subject you have chosen Rob and a built that I will be following with interest. The parts layout look very good, it appears to be a comprehensive kit so should build up to be a good looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
I once owned one of these kits and it seems to be one of the better High Tech releases. That being said I am sure it will have it's challenges! I am equally sure you will turn out an AWESOME build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
I am looking forward to following your build, Rob.  I admire your skills
and have no doubts you will end up with a superb model.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 03:20:23 AM »
I'm delighted to see that you've chosen this kit as your next project, Rob.  I've got both the A2 and the B2 in my stash and actually started hacking away at the plastic on one of them.  I cut out the side cowlings leaving only about 1/8" all around to which I've glued the pe pieces.  Since you'll be able to see through the louvers, I'll put some sort of representation of an engine in there.  It seems like a really nice kit, so I'm hoping you'll have fun with it.  All the test fitting I've done indicates that there should be no major fit issues.  I'm really looking forward to following this build, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
Some scant progress made. I ground out the insides of the fuselage halves to be able to fit a more scale interior. You can see in the photos how much I had to remove. I made some new interior walls out of .005 plastic sheet that I scored with a ballpoint pen to simulate the fabric sag. I'm going to make a false floor, firewall, and a false bulkhead at the rear to 'compartmentalize' the cockpit area and block off the sections of the interior that I'm not going to detail. The kit provides a fairly complete representation of the tubular cockpit structure, but the tubes are molded out of round and too big in diameter so I'm going to replace them with either plastic or brass rod. I also have an ancient resin detail set (made for the Aurora kit I think) that includes a rudimentary Renault engine so I'm going to take up Bud's suggestion and open up part of the nose section and install the engine, because you can see through the PE louvers. To what extent I detail the engine depends on how much of it is visible through the louvers.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »
kudos on your progress so far rob. i like that engine for a basis as i have the a2 version of this kit. to me as well it seems like one of the better hi-tech kits although i must confess i havent built one completely yet, i have dabbled w this one and it seems ok but i wasnt sure what i would do about the engine. cant wait to see how this develo[ps.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 05:47:44 AM »
Wish I could find one of those resin engines!  As far as I know no one currently makes a 1/48 scale Renault engine.