Author Topic: Two Fokker D.VIIs, a Pfalz D.IIIa and a Pup...  (Read 4393 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

Two Fokker D.VIIs, a Pfalz D.IIIa and a Pup...
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
On the build-up to our attendance at Telford for the UK IPMS show next month, I thought that it was about time that I flung together a model or three to show off our stickers (and Aviattic's lozenge decals and Pfalz silbergrau paint) at the show. Now if, Des, you think this is too overtly commercial (I am a modeller too, though!) then feel free to shift it to the Pheon shop section.

Planned are the following - all 32nd scale from Wingnut Wings:

Albatros-built Fokker  D.VII from Jasta 18 (Ltn. Hans Müller's markings) from 32045.

Wilhelm Hippert's, Jasta 74 D.VIIF "Mimmi" (from 32047 the new D.VIIF set - which is released to the world today)

A Pfalz D.IIIa from the latest Jasta 30 set (expected at Pheon HQ any day....)

and (if time allows)

Sopwith Pup B1803. 113 HD Sqn. Throwley, England. August 1917. 2/Lt.A.B.Garnons-Williams (Monosoupape 100hp engine)

All pretty much straight from the box with minor mods to things like cowlings to accurately portray each one. These are "speed builds" by a barely competent jobbing modeller, so please don't be too harsh with the critiques (all welcome BTW)! I'm again knocked out by the quality of these kits; just staggering. No fit issues at all, really (including the Pup lower wing - I must have been lucky!). The D.VII is sublime - I can see why it took so long to get to release, but the presumed fiddling and fettling by Wingnuts with the moulds has paid off as, for all its complexity (quite a lot to it for a single engined fighter), it goes together like a dream. Photos will be few and of dreadful quality with some artful angles to mask as many of my screw ups as possible...

I made a start a few weeks ago and the first across the line (well almost - one or two minor bits to add) is the Ferrari-red Jasta 18 beastie (I'll take a few more pics - this one is just to prove I am actually doing some modelling!!):

The other three are progressing well and I'll post some more awful pics as we go.

STOP PRESS the doorbell just sounded to announce the arrival of the Jasta 30 Pfalz decals - yummy - if I do say so myself!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline rhallinger

Re: Two Fokker D.VIIs, a Pfalz D.IIIa and a Pup...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:20 PM »
I hope mine eventually turns out as nice, Rowan!  :D  Good job!  Jasta 18 is a very striking paint scheme.  What paint did you use?

Cheers,

Bob

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »
Hello Bob,

I used Tamiya Italian Red over a white undercoat. The actual Jasta 18 machines are always reported as being a particularly bright vermilion colour and experience says that the brightness is due to a solid white undercoat. Indeed, I sprayed two/three coats of red over white on a couple of nose panels and the red darkened considerably, such that I had to strip it off and do them again with just a single coat of red. I believe quite strongly that the actual Jasta 18 aircraft were also painted this way, as this accounts for the strong colour compared with, say, Jasta 11 red which always seems to be a darker shade of "blood red" with any underlying colour having a strong impact.

Leonard Cohen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
Rowan,
Beautiful Fokker! I really like your interpretation of the red! I am looking forward to seeing the other builds!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
Very fine model, Rowan. Great to see you complete another one. As for your theory of Jasta 18 (Raben's_ colours I am completely convinced. I will remember about it when painting my planned Raben's Dr.I.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »
Thanks for that information Rowan.  It will be a big help, as I have at least a couple of Jasta 18 projects from your sheet on my list!  ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:31:14 AM »
That Jasta 18 D.VII is gorgeous, Rowan!  I hope mine turns out half as fine.  Looking forward to the other three.  I know they'll be brilliant.  Hey!  I just thought of something!  Is that Pup the one you started years ago?  The one that lauched Pheon?  I'm really looking forward to seeing that one, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
I hope to see that Pfalz of yours - just for the sake of the Silbergrau you were talking about.

Stefan

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
Splendid job on the D.VII, Rowan!  Thank you for the info on applying
the red colour.  I look forward to seeing your other projects.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
A fantastic looking model for sure. Can we have some more pics?

I'm looking forward to see the others too.

Cheers

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments, chaps!

Here are some more pics of where we stand today ( taken outside but some are a bit dark and they continue to uphold my trademark poor-quality photos - helps cover up the myriad building and finishing mistakes...)

The Jasta 18 D.VII - now done, although I notice I have a rigging wire adrift on the tail......

showing off the Aviattic lozenge under the wings:

Here's the Jasta 30 Pfalz - coming on OK. I had to go with the Tamiya miz suggested by WNW as The Aviattic paint has'nt arrived as yet and time presses on. It's a bit too bright - like RAF inter-war aluminium. The newly arrived decals from 32026 have gone on a treat - just as well... :

and here's the state of play with Mimmi; again Aviattic loz (with loz tapes this time) and decals from our new D.VIIF set 32047 . Note the seat has come adrift during this mornings attempt to get the seat belts into place. I HATE etched brass for seatbelts; I forgot to anneal them before painting as well - idiot! so they sprung around and resisted staying in place while the super glue made up its mind if it would stick or not. I also hate superbloodyglue....

And bringing up the rear, the Mono engined Pup:

particularly chuffed with the South Wales Borderer's badge. Decals from set 32013 Sopwith Pups of the RFC:

Leonard Cohen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »
Rowan,
    Beauties all! Nicely done, you are obviously not just the world's best Decal provider............... seems to be vastly more then just a modicum of modelling talent in your makeup as well! Hope you have time at Telford to imbibe in the pint I've asked Gary to offer. Least we can do on behalf of the "Canadian Mafia". ;)
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Stunning, each and every one, Rowan!  I especially love the Mono Pup.  Is that a Brian Fawcett upgrade?  Lovely!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:19 AM »
An awesome foursome Rowan, each one built to perfection and displaying beautiful decals and finish, for quick OOB builds you have achieved remarkable results.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »
Crikey mate!  :o
Great to see you modelling, Rowan. You're doing a fine job - keep it up!

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith